• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Borgini waves the red cloak: my advice - ignore him so he loses his job

K

Khalyal

Gone

It looks like that blog has been taken down. No fear, I copied and pasted it before it disappeared. :p

You can also find it by searching psychology today chronic fatigue jihad, and then clicking on cached.

Khaly

A

anne

I wrote the online editor.

Dear Ms. Ma

I'm writing because I'm very disturbed by Dr. Borigini's blog today comparing CFS patients to terrorists and jihadists. This seems to be entirely antithetical to your description of the bloggers as having "Dedicated their lives to the promotion of sound psychology for the benefit of the communities in which they live." What community does this benefit? What sound psychology is being promoted here? What it seems to be is a rant that grievously insults a group of sick people, not to mention makes light of actual terrorism and the devastation suffered from it.

I have had the illness known as CFS and have recovered, thanks to antiviral medication. Others are not so lucky. Some are bedridden and broke, unable to get disability because the medical establishment still doesn't understand the illness. People's perceptions of CFS, unfortunately, aren't just academic--it affects the sufferer's ability to get good medical care and support from friends and family. I hope you can imagine how devastating it is to be so ill and to have people dismiss your illness. As hard as that is to watch, I've never seen anything as crass and insulting as Dr. Borigini's blog. (The blog is actually pretty misinformed on CFS and on the study it discusses, but that's not the real point.)

I understand the benefit of allowing the blogs to be freewheeling; however I think this far crosses the line. It serves no purpose but to insult a group of sick people with no political power who have already suffered enough. I do not believe it is in Psychology Today's mission to cause harm. CFS--despite the absurd name-- has a great deal in common with Lupus and MS, and it's hard to imagine someone getting away with calling those patients jihadists. I sincerely hope you reconsider this blog, and this blogger.

Sincerely,

jackie

Bless your heart, Anne! We can always count on you to "champion" our cause and write the PERFECT letter! (we ought to have an emoticon of a little Knight in Shiny Armour, holding a Lance and riding a horse! with a teeny tiny pic of Anne's face - peeking out of the helmut!)

Thanks!......... jackie

kurt

Unbeilevable.....I sure am glad this isn't my doctor. I think I will contact the senior producer of the website and complain and ask for an apology to it's readers.

I second the motion. In fact I just wrote to the editor directly.

That blog article probably qualifies as a form of hate speech. Psychology Today should retract it and issue an apology.

Any lawyers in the house? I believe US code allows a disabled group to qualify as a victim of hate speech.

dsdmom

Anne, thank you!!!! I hope you hear back from them soon and you share with us their heartfelt apologies and the announcement that this doctor will have his medical license revoke. Sigh...we can dream, right? :)

oerganix

I think someone in CA should complain to the board of Medical Examiners or whomever is responsible for licensing, and to the two universities where he is - ACKK!!! - professor of medicine!!! "Bringing the Heat" seems appropriate here. This mentally unstable, or totally ingenuous, guy is "teaching" new doctors. See his bio on his blog. His undergrad degree is in Psychobiology. Psycho is right!

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Anne,

That is and extremely well written letter. I am happy to have you act as my representative.

This blog is a grievous insult and quite dangerous. And we have a right to be angry, but our response must be measured. You have struck this balance beautifully.

I would like to move that you, Anne also send this or something simialar to some or all of the institutions mentioned by Dysautonomia.

Thank you Anne

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
By rheumatologist, not a psych btw.

In a Psychology magazine though.

This sort of rhetoric, using terrorist analogies out of context, is rampant in the degenerate political discourse that has (d)evolved in the US over the last few years. It's sad, but not surprising, to see it implemented in the equally degenerate mainstream medical field.

It's a blatant attempt at inducing paranoia in the reader. And in both the political and medical field, it is obvious that it is done at the behest of monopolistic corporate interests, that no doubt urge their attack dogs to disseminate such idiotic drivel in order to maintain their incomprehensibly greedy financial interests.

We are truly living in the most degenerate and disgusting period of human existence. Each and every day I become more and more appalled at human nature.

T

thefreeprisoner

Thanks Teejkay! Thought of it while I was falling asleep (or trying to) - always the best time for having ideas...

Min

I've emailed the editor in chief Kaja Perina:

"I am writing to complain about the blog article
"The Terrorists of Health: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Jihad"

likening sufferers of the neurological illness CFS to terrorists, and inciting hatred towards them. I ask you to remove this incredibly offensive article. thank you"

R

Robin

Hi everyone, I finally was able to merge the two threads! Carry on... ;)

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

In a Psychology magazine though.

This sort of rhetoric, using terrorist analogies out of context, is rampant in the degenerate political discourse that has (d)evolved in the US over the last few years. It's sad, but not surprising, to see it implemented in the equally degenerate mainstream medical field.

It's a blatant attempt at inducing paranoia in the reader. And in both the political and medical field, it is obvious that it is done at the behest of monopolistic corporate interests, that no doubt urge their attack dogs to disseminate such idiotic drivel in order to maintain their incomprehensibly greedy financial interests.

We are truly living in the most degenerate and disgusting period of human existence. Each and every day I become more and more appalled at human nature.

What a fantastic comment. Love it!

acer2000

I couldn't beleive what I was reading. Its all fine and good to be skeptical about XMRV and it's association with CFS. In fact, thats what science is supposed to do. But this article is just a childish insult to a group of sick people. The author shows a clear lack of compassion for a subject he doesn't undeststand and reckless editorial neglect on behalf of the publication.

Here is a link to the contact info for the people in charge of Psychology Today:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/about/contact

They should have never let this rant onto their website. Perhaps we can write them clear and logical notes letting them know how ridiculous this is. I have seen more mature IM conversations between middle school kids... really - I have.

muffin

VERY PROUD and PLEASED by Well-Written, Intelligent Comments On that Site

:DThere were 79 well-written comments and Kim Mcleary put her spin out there just now. Good job to all who took the time to hit them. Some really smart comments were made at him and the stupid magazine. Even as a high school kid I thought Psych Today was stupid and I knew nothing back then.

Have to continue to COUNTER-ATTACK every time we see these morons trying to destroy and demean us. NO MORE NICE GUY. So, write but do so in a manner that is intelligent with all that nice data - very pleased with us.

"Trust me, when you've life's on the line in ER because of articles like this, it aint so funny then"How true this statement is: Yesterday I was in the hospital for a procedure (not a big deal) but I had a heated discussion with the anesthesiologist guy who would NOT listen to me. Finally, the nurse anesthesiologist DID listen and DID do what I asked about meds to be given and NOT GIVEN to me. I know what my CFIDS body will do with certain meds. So the above comment from a smart person is right on. The doctors NEED the very best info on how to treat us and they must listen to us. I had to say the same thing to the idiot anesthesiologist Dr. several times and then he walked away from me without further comment. I did well during and after and now because that young woman DID listen and do what I asked. Had that moron dr. been left up to it, he would have done what HE wanted and NOT what I, by law, wanted.

Keep beating the drum on any idiot who demeans us. Nail them where their money is. HIT but do so with the same intelligent, data heavy comments you all did on this article.

Finally, many of you went directly to the top of this poor magazine and that was SMART!!! Here is the contact info and link to the emails for these people. I am going to copy and paste ALL the comments and send them to ALL these people on one email so that they can see what is going on. I don't expect they are reading comments, but they will after my email. Others might do the same so that they see people are reading and they are MAD. That may keep Borigini from writing for them anymore.
:victory:
To all who took the time, energy and effort to make great comments - JOB WELL DONE. KEEP SWINGING!!!:victory::victory:

-------------------------------------------PSYCHOLOGY TODAY HOME PAGE WITH CONTACT INFO AND EMAIL LINKS--------
We are "Here to Help". So if there's anything we can do further to bring a smile to your face or to unwind the proverbial knot in your "life's rich tapestry", please contact us.;)

Psychology Today
115 E. 23rd St., 9th Floor
New York, NY 10010
212-260-7210

Jo Colman CEO
Lawrence Rose President
Charles Frank COO
Batya Lahav Director, Business Development

Magazine
Kaja Perina
Editor in Chief

Lybi Ma
Deputy Editor/Online Editor

Ed Levine
Creative Director

Carlin Flora
Features Editor
Jay Dixit
Senior Editor

Matthew Hutson
News Editor

Hara Estroff Marano
Editor at Large

muffin

OOOOs - must hit the contact page and each individual, can't do an email

Sorry - you have to go to the contact page and hit the person's name and then leave a 200 word comment. So you pick the people tha are most senior, etc. and send them a turse email and tell them to go to the COMMENTS page and read the 80 plus very negative comments. Could NOT post all the comments with only 200 spaces.

I do suggest we all hit a couple of those guys and ask for a retraction, apology and removal of Borigin. I did. Did anyone read his other CFIDS article about how our poor doctors are "Fatigued" by us? That made me mad as well. I know we are very tough patients but hey, that's why they went into medicine. Don't like to hear us, then get out! But this guy seems to hate us and dismiss us for whatever reason. Maybe his ex-wife has CFIDS and he got stuck with big divorce bills, etc. Kidding, I don't know what his marital status is. Who would marry someone like that? Yuck!!!

I know it seems little in comparison to so much other stuff written about us, but it has to be stopped dead in its tracks or they will continue to beat on us if they get away with it. So, however small (I don't consider his comments small, however), we have to go after them. I sound aggressive, I guess I am. I have seen so little change in my illness of 15 years and then Osler's Web drove home that since the 1980's not much has changed EXCEPT the real researchers and the real doctors doing the heavy-lifting work that the CDC/NIH SHOULD have been doing and were told by Congress to do going back to the 1980's.

So, keep hitting. Keep writing to Congress and everyone else you can think of. Spread that net wide. Hit the media, the newspapers, and do so in a calm and well written way. Ask for help to write to the media - I HAVE to have my husband help or do the writing so it sounds intelligent or I wander and ramble and use the wrong words, etc.

Anyway - WELL done all.:Retro smile:

leelaplay

I've changed my mind

Thank you all for your great perspectives. I thought maybe the author could just be ignored as someone who had disploayed his ignorance, but on reflection, I realize that he went too far both in insulting a patient group and trivializing terrorism.

Instead of ignoring this blog, I will try to do what I can to get this blog removed and get an apology issued.

To that end, I have compiled a list of people I plan to contact. Thanks Anne & Min for the great letters, Muffin for the list of Psychology Today contacts, and dys & oerganix and others for the idea of asking his employers and the AMA if they concur with his published opinions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Dr. Borigini graduated from Hahnemann University (now Drexel University) School of Medicine in 1988

a. Media Inquiries: Contact: Christine Fagan
Phone: (215) 895-6121
email: christine.fagan@drexel.edu
b. http://www.drexel.com/corporate/contact.aspx

2. - completed his internal medicine residency at the University of California, Irvine, in 1991.
- 1993 participating in the teaching of students and housestaff from the University of California, Irvine.
- He currently holds the title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine.
(Sorry couldnt find a contact us section)

a. Chancellor Michael Drake
b. http://www.facebook.com/UCIrvine
c. http://twitter.com/UCIrvine/
d. http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/staffadvisors/
e. Chancellors Advisory Committee on the Status of Staff: http://www.hr.uci.edu/cacss/

3. - he spent two years at UCLA, completing his rheumatology fellowship in 1993.
- Besides assisting in the teaching of students and housestaff, Dr. Borigini was involved in studying novel rheumatoid arthritis treatments, and he continued doing so as a Clinical Instructor at the UCLA School of Medicine until 1993

a. http://www.ucla.edu/
b. http://www.ucla.edu/administration.html
c. http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/media-contacts.aspx
d. http://www.facebook.com/uclabruins
e. http://twitter.com/uclanewsroom

4. 1993, at which time he took a position at the VA Medical Center in Long Beach, California,

a. http://www.longbeach.va.gov/
b. 562-826-8000.
c. http://www.longbeach.va.gov/contact/index.asp

5. In 2003, Dr. Borigini took on additional academic duties at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in Downey, California, one of the top rehabilitation facilities in the United States, according to US News and World Report. In his capacity as Clinical Professor at the University of Southern California, he heads the inpatient Rheumatology Consult service at Rancho,

a. http://www.rancho.org/
b. Tel: 582-401-7111

8. - In his capacity as Clinical Professor at the University of Southern California,
- and conducts teaching rounds with rheumatology trainees from the University of Southern California.

a. http://www.usc.edu/contact/
b. Health Sciences Campus Tel: (323) 442-2000

9. He is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, the medical profession's honor society

a. http://www.alphaomegaalpha.org/index.html
b. Here are the addresses to email all board members:
cba@uab.edu, rga2@psu.edu, ncberry@partners.org, william.bynum@uscmed.sc.edu, jespat@hepaticsurgery.com, rfincher@mcg.edu, amy.goldberg@temple.edu, rae-ellen_kavey@urmc.rochester.edu, anne.mancino@us.army.mil, dpaauw@u.washington.edu, suzannpershing@gmail.com, sheryl.pfeil@osumc.edu, dpowell@utmb.edu, josephwstubbs@gmail.com, jtooker@acponline.org, avantidoc@aol.com, cason.pierce@gmail.com

10. American Medical Association

a. https://extapps.ama-assn.org/contactus/contactusMain.do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psychology Today
115 E. 23rd St., 9th Floor
New York, NY 10010
212-260-7210

Jo Colman CEO
Lawrence Rose President
Charles Frank COO
Batya Lahav Director, Business Development

Magazine
Kaja Perina
Editor in Chief

Lybi Ma
Deputy Editor/Online Editor

Ed Levine
Creative Director

Carlin Flora
Features Editor
Jay Dixit
Senior Editor

Matthew Hutson
News Editor

Hara Estroff Marano
Editor at Large
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...sts-health-the-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-jihad
The Terrorists of Health: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Jihad
Eternal hell to the non-believers.
Published on January 20, 2010

Recently, there were all kinds of blogging and blustering over the internet regarding the XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus), a retrovirus researchers have found may be associated with chronic fatigue syndrome. However, it is a novel finding, and far from being the proverbial sure thing for those who are searching for the sure thing in the quest for the etiology of chronic fatigue syndrome. But the Terrorists of Health, in full jihadist mode, are trumpeting XMRV as being "proof" that the mystery of chronic fatigue syndrome has been found. Eternal hell to the non-believers. Well, there is no proof. And what is more disappointing is the money that will invariably be wasted by desperate patients trying to figure out why they are fatigued; because, rest assured, there will be unscrupulous individuals waiting for the patient who wants to be tested. But a test result in a non-research setting means practically nothing at this time, whether it be a positive test result or a negative test result. There is no reliable test available commercially at this time; researchers have several different tests they are using now in their ongoing research on XMRV. XMRV was originally discovered in the tissue of cancerous prostates. This begs the question: Where else is XMRV found, and what does it mean when it is found? The diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome has generally been referred to as a "diagnosis of exclusion". How comfortable should we be in accepting the presumption that the study subjects described in the XMRV literature published thus far truly have chronic fatigue syndrome? What if the XMRV test is telling us there is a problem, but not necessarily chronic fatigue syndrome? How will the chronic fatigue syndrome jihadists deal with, say, the discovery that XMRV causes an illness which leads to fatigue? But I can hear the internet IEDs exploding as I write this! It is for the scientist to steer clear of the mine field of the politics of health. Studies have to be conducted with objectivity: Is XMRV just a bystander, and if so, why is it there? I am looking forward to more data. The Terrorists of Health should at least grant us a brief reprieve as we all await that data.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous blog:
Awakening to the Reality of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Does your doctor have CFS fatigue?
Published on November 18, 2009 Dr Borgini Psychology Today
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Annes letter to Psych Today
Dear Ms. Ma
I'm writing because I'm very disturbed by Dr. Borigini's blog today comparing CFS patients to terrorists and jihadists. This seems to be entirely antithetical to your description of the bloggers as having "Dedicated their lives to the promotion of sound psychology for the benefit of the communities in which they live." What community does this benefit? What sound psychology is being promoted here? What it seems to be is a rant that grievously insults a group of sick people, not to mention makes light of actual terrorism and the devastation suffered from it.

I have had the illness known as CFS and have recovered, thanks to antiviral medication. Others are not so lucky. Some are bedridden and broke, unable to get disability because the medical establishment still doesn't understand the illness. People's perceptions of CFS, unfortunately, aren't just academic--it affects the sufferer's ability to get good medical care and support from friends and family. I hope you can imagine how devastating it is to be so ill and to have people dismiss your illness. As hard as that is to watch, I've never seen anything as crass and insulting as Dr. Borigini's blog. (The blog is actually pretty misinformed on CFS and on the study it discusses, but that's not the real point.)

I understand the benefit of allowing the blogs to be freewheeling; however I think this far crosses the line. It serves no purpose but to insult a group of sick people with no political power who have already suffered enough. I do not believe it is in Psychology Today's mission to cause harm. CFS--despite the absurd name-- has a great deal in common with Lupus and MS, and it's hard to imagine someone getting away with calling those patients jihadists. I sincerely hope you reconsider this blog, and this blogger.

Sincerely,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Min
"I am writing to complain about the blog article
"The Terrorists of Health: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Jihad"

likening sufferers of the neurological illness CFS to terrorists, and inciting hatred towards them. I ask you to remove this incredibly offensive article. thank you"

M

marley100

ate Borgini

I have an additional idea. There are several online sites that rate physicians. And while we can't rate the experience of going to see him as patients (shudder the thought), we can cut and paste comments that he made in his Psychology Today post. It seems fair. If he's going to attack people with ME/CFS in the foulest and most unfair of ways, why not let other prospective patients know what they're in for? Let his own words bite him in the ass. How beautiful is that?

Moreover, I believe cutting and pasting--with a link to the actual article so readers will know it's true--will help dissuade not only ME/CFS patients and fibro patients, but those with other diseases. I've stayed away from doctors with negative reviews, and I certainly would never go to a physician who took delight in preying on the sick.

Some of the sites:

www.ratemds.com
www.healthcarereviews.com
www.drscore.com
www.findadoc.com
www.vitals.com
www.doctorscorecard.com
www.healthgrades.com
http://www.physicianreports.com/?goid=pr
http://www.checkbook.org/