• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Borgini waves the red cloak: my advice - ignore him so he loses his job

leelaplay

The Terrorists of Health: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Jihad
Eternal hell to the non-believers

This is one of the most inflammatory pieces of writing I've seen. I agree with the commenter who pointed out that Psychology Today doesn't care about content, only about the number of hits. This piece to me seems designed to try to get as many hits as possible.

And it's a bit insulting as the arguements offered are so weak. It's more like school yard taunts with enough references to your mother to get your dander up and to get you swinging('hitting'). It's quite sad to see someone who has been fairly high up in their field come down to this.

I plan to ignore him. The fewer hits, the more likely he is to lose his job.

Nina

Hi if,

since you placed the link here I couldn't resist but to click on it. The article is ridiculous, but the comments are so great!! Especially the one who asks the "Dr." what it is that he's so angry about. VERY good question! The answer is just below in another comment. I think the comments are worth reading, it shows once more how many brilliant minds and eloquent people this community has.

In a way, it's really funny, this is so over the edge that I doubt anyone could take this serious. Bedridden patients desperate for a cure = Terrorists?? LMAO.

This article tells us nothing about CFS, but a LOT about "Dr." Borigini.

T

thefreeprisoner

I've commented.

Reading one of the comments, it looks like he's got burned when he stumbled into an area he knew nothing about and is wreaking his revenge.

#2 that the comments are awesome!

muffin

OR, hit him and the magazine with nasty, VALID comments

Nasty as in well written, data validated comments. The comments out there are pretty good - and very angry. If Psychology Today sees enough negative comments directed at this guy and the magazine itself for printing somethng so outrageous, then they may not allow his garbage into the magazine.

His article really was one of the stupidiest and nastiest articles on CFIDS/XMRV I have read.

NAIL HIM with sturdy comments right between his eyes and the idiot magazine's eyes. We can't allow ourselves to be so demeaned. Blows my mind what this fool wrote.

Don't ignore him, attack his "thesis" and the magazine for printing something so cruel. Still can not believe what this nutjob wrote. MEAN, SICK, CRUEL. Oh my!

Min

Well I had to go & look - my thoughts were 'oh, his poor fibromyalgia patients' but someone has already posted that he should not be treating them (he's a rheumatologist). Someone with this appalling attitude should not be in medicine at all, but it hasn't stopped certain UK psychiatrists so I guess it won't stop him. We have an anonymous doctor here in the UK who writes under the name of 'Dr Crippen' & who regularly expresses similar views/

A diagnosis of ME/CFS is an excuse for many doctors to deride, abuse and neglect patients.

IamME

Too sick for an identity
we are now TERRORISTS, apparently

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/overcoming-pain/201001/the-terrorists-health-the-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-jihad

"The Terrorists of Health: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Jihad"

"But the Terrorists of Health, in full jihadist mode, are trumpeting XMRV as being "proof" that the mystery of chronic fatigue syndrome has been found."

"... And what is more disappointing is the money that will invariably be wasted by desperate patients trying to figure out why they are fatigued ..."

"How will the chronic fatigue syndrome jihadists deal with, say, the discovery that XMRV causes an illness which leads to fatigue?"

"The Terrorists of Health should at least grant us a brief reprieve..."

---

By rheumatologist, not a psych btw.

Sh*t stirring much? As Corporal Jones says, "they don't like it up 'em".

A

anne

What an idiot. Seriously, we just have to be sick. This guy has to be himself.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Some ideas:

* Can the author (a doctor) be reported an American of board of physicians for his behaviour?

* Can the university where he graduated be contacted to confirm they agree with his views?

* Can the website Psychologytoday offer an apology to patients with CFS?

Although I agree it's so horrible it's funny it needs to be stopped as this person is a doctor, and not a journalist.
Instead of laughing we need to be getting this dude nailed, we cannot excuse his level of offensiveness and damage to CFS patients.

Trust me, when you've life's on the line in ER because of articles like this, it aint so funny then.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Details on the person who states patients with CFS are Terrorist.

Dr. Mark Borigini
board-certified rheumatologist

Dr. Borigini graduated from Hahnemann University (now Drexel University) School of Medicine in 1988 and completed his internal medicine residency at the University of California, Irvine, in 1991. Following that, he spent two years at UCLA, completing his rheumatology fellowship in 1993. Besides assisting in the teaching of students and housestaff, Dr. Borigini was involved in studying novel rheumatoid arthritis treatments, and he continued doing so as a Clinical Instructor at the UCLA School of Medicine until 1993, at which time he took a position at the VA Medical Center in Long Beach, California, again participating in the teaching of students and housestaff from the University of California, Irvine. He currently holds the title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine.

In 2003, Dr. Borigini took on additional academic duties at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in Downey, California, one of the top rehabilitation facilities in the United States, according to US News and World Report. In his capacity as Clinical Professor at the University of Southern California, he heads the inpatient Rheumatology Consult service at Rancho, and conducts teaching rounds with rheumatology trainees from the University of Southern California.

Dr. Borigini has published several articles and book chapters, and enjoys lecturing. He is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, the medical profession's honor society. He is hopeful this pain blog will give readers an understanding of pain and how to cope with it. His undergraduate degree is in Psychobiology, and he feels this coupled with the experience of dealing with patients with chronic rheumatologic conditions over the years will allow him to provide readers with a unique perspective, and hopefully encourage a healthy attitude in the approach to pain on the part of both caregiver (whether it be doctor, psychologist or family member) and patient

If someone is American please consider seeing if you can contact any of these places with the article, and ask them to confirm his views are acceptable and no in breach of his duty of care to his patients, since he is qualified to practice.

Equality starts with accepting others different to you, are equal.
We can only gain this, by challenging discrimination and bigotted views.

Thank you.

K

Katie

Well I had to go & look - my thoughts were 'oh, his poor fibromyalgia patients' but someone has already posted that he should not be treating them (he's a rheumatologist). Someone with this appalling attitude should not be in medicine at all, but it hasn't stopped certain UK psychiatrists so I guess it won't stop him. We have an anonymous doctor here in the UK who writes under the name of 'Dr Crippen' & who regularly expresses similar views/

A diagnosis of ME/CFS is an excuse for many doctors to deride, abuse and neglect patients.

Ok, I clicked on it. I think Dr Crippen is much worse. He didn't seem a furvent in his response to the WPI study and didn't comment on the IC study at all, very sensible.

I actually think this is just as disgraceful to anyone who has lost someone in a terrorist attack. To bandy the label round to describe any dissenting voice is a horrendous abuse of the term terrorist or jihadist. To terrorise is to spread fear in the civilian population through threats and actual violence, pain and damages. To use this term so loosely and maliciously against anyone is amoral. It's digusting, ill thought out rhetoric aimed at alienating and isolating a suffering community. I guess the terrorist related terms are going the same way as Nazi, femin-Nazi, grammar-Nazi etc.

Ho-hum, another day in ME politics.

R

Robin

Catagorizing sick people who write angry letters and leave comments on blogs with al Queda? The guy is not just a doctor but a blogger too, and probably wants his page hits and comments. Let's not give him any. ;)

EDIT: There's another thread on the same topic, and with the forum being all wonky right now, I wasn't able to merge the two. So, for more thoughts go here.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

That is one view Ms Robin and the BEST when it comes to not getting sick from stress.
My usual way to cope with people who say such things in the doctors office is to apologise, for example.

If I didn't have this illness, then I'd be a bit more bold (understatement).

I feel the CFS community, no matter how fragmented - need to be slightly more assertive in defending their illness identity.

After all, an illness is not a choice, and in the case of XMRV induced CFS may be something we are born with.
Like a skin colour, ethnicity or sex.

If I know how to, I can see this person is reprimanded. As a doctor (and not a blogger) they have sworn an oath to do no harm, and as a member of the American medical establishment to treat patients with dignity and respect.

Frickly

Unbeilevable.....I sure am glad this isn't my doctor. I think I will contact the senior producer of the website and complain and ask for an apology to it's readers.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
You know he's really so stupidly ridiculous, that it's just stupidly ridiculous.

:Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue:

So there!

Kati

Patient in training
I totally agree that we should not let this one go, in the same way that we didn't let that poll run on the british paper. This time it's actually more important. He should be reported to his college, and public appologies should be made, and if I was the discipplinarian, I would force him to 40 hours of working hands in hands with dr Peterson. For free of course.

This could also be handled by the CAA perhaps, JSpot, are you reading? And also a strong response from the community.

On a LIGHTER note, here is a little 10 minutes of chuckle about terrorists...:Sign giggle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go