New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Ann Hathaway, Marin, CA

Discussion in 'ME/CFS Doctors' started by Dalesar, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Dalesar

Dalesar

Northern California
    Has anyone had any experience with this doctor? I have seen her twice. I don't know what to think. She seems to be very interested in the GI stuff. She had me do tests for SIBO, negative, Genova Diagnostic pathways which resulted in lots of supplements for different mal-functioning pathways.
    She claims to be a functional doctor. I'm not really sure how much gets CFS. She definitely believes in a strict Low Fodmaps diet, etc.
    Thanks

2. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    @Dalesar - I don't know the doctor you have mentioned. However, I wish the first functional medicine doctor I saw would have focused on treating my gut. He gave me cortisone for adrenals, thyroid hormone for thyroid, and some other meds, which didn't help at all.

Ran a bunch of tests that all came back fairly normal. The one test that came back WAY off the charts, was a test for dysbiosis (bacterial imbalance in the gut) and he completely ignored it!

Ironically, 15 years later, I have found the most successful treatments I have tried are in treating my gut, just in the last few months. I have listened to dozens of functional medicine doctors on webinars over the years and have been to many of their websites.

Almost all of them start with treating the gut with cfs/me unless they have good reason to start somewhere else. I went to your doctors website, she has 22 years experience.

I would be willing to bet that based on her 22 years of practicing functional medicine, she has found the gut to be a primary problem in cfs/me. Maybe you could ask her how much experience she has in treating cfs? Her reply could be very informative.

sarah darwins and MEMum like this.
  3. Dalesar

Dalesar

Northern California

4. Dalesar

Dalesar

Northern California
    Thank you, that's a good idea. I know it sounds crazy, but she is very unfriendly and offputting. After a visit, all the other exchanges are with her assistant. I never know if what I'm being told in the emails is her or the assistant. I suppose everyone asks the same questions. I just don't have a lot of confidence that she's not just putting me on a 'standard' track with diet and supplements. You know if you are a carpenter with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  5. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Her acting unfriendly and offputting has to be uncomfortable. Maybe she will warm up to you.:) I found this on her website-

I don't know if you have been to her website, here is a link if you want to- link.
    From what she has written it sounds like she is open to your unique situation. However, only time will tell for sure.

6. Dalesar

Dalesar

Northern California
    Thank you, I did look at her website. I had to wait 4 months to see her. She seems to know what she is doing. Her Yelp reviews call her capable, but not 'warm and fuzzy.' No question there.

ljimbo423 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.