A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Amolak Bansal & Jorgen Jelstad TV interview at ME conference/Dr Bansal's research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Scarecrow, MEMum, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  2. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Jørgen Jelstad says that doctors and health personell lacks knowledge about the disease. He also says that several doctors from Norway and abroad are participating. He then tells about the fact that many with ME are misbelieved by society. "Times are changing. People are starting to take this disease seriously". The reporter then asks him about his mother who is sick with ME.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. mango

mango Senior Member

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That stress hormone thing was a new one on me.

Is that new?

5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I would have to guess that he's talking about his own unpublished work because I see nothing from him on Pubmed on the subject. The way he is describing it also sounds counter to what has been found before regarding cortisol in this disease.

Helen, Sasha and Woolie like this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

What is he talking about? Glucocorticoid resistance?

7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I don't know - it sounds from the "feeling faint" thing that he's talking about orthostatic intolerance being one of the problems resulting from it, whatever it is.

8. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

I seem to remember him talking about this stress hormone problem in a video about a year or so ago, sorry I can't remember where, it may have been 2014 IiME but maybe not. But he was certainly talking of on going research into this and how it could fit many of the symptoms. My memory of it is that it wasn't a problem with not producing enough stress hormone it was that cells weren't responding normally to the hormones which had a similar effect to being low in stress hormones, please remember my memory may well be wrong!

Scarecrow, MeSci and Sasha like this.
  9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Just seen this form earlier this year, I'll look for the video I saw:

http://sussexliving.com/remember-news/

REMEMBER THE NEWS!

March 28, 2015 · posted by Robert Veitch · in Charity, Community, Hassocks, Hurstpierpoint
    Money For Research

reMEmber, the Hurstpierpont/ Hassocks based charity, has raised £5,000 to help ground-breaking research into the exact cause of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). reMEmber’s patron, Sir Nicholas Soames MP, met Dr Amolak Bansal and presented him with reMEmber’s cheque on the 20th February 2015. Dr Bansal, consultant immunologist at St Helier Hospital in Surrey, is a leading expert on this illness and heads up a number of important research projects. reMEmber’s donation will go towards his study of peripheral resistance to the stress hormone, cortisol, in people with ME and whether this leads to the disordered immune system from which they suffer. One person in every 200 has ME, and some (including some children) are badly disabled by it. There is no cure yet but good research like Dr Bansal’s will lead the way to it.

Scarecrow, FTY and Sasha like this.
  10. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Here's the video where Dr Bansal lecture where he talks about his research, it's an interesting talk, worth watching:

Scarecrow, Sasha and FTY like this.
  11. FTY

FTY

Yep, he's been looking at end organ unresponsiveness to cortisol for a while, glad to hear there's been some funding towards this. Explains why our symptoms are so similar to Addison's.

leela likes this.
  12. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Cortisol has always been a suspicious candidate in ME/CFS. Very interesting.

13. FTY

FTY

I'm loving the line 'There is no cure yet but good research like Dr Bansal’s will lead the way to it.' Simple as that! Let's hope so! Actually I do think it's true, just might take a while.

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I've edited the title thread to draw attention to the focus on Dr Bansal's research.

leela, MEMum and Daisymay like this.
  15. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I have watched his webinar and i must say i am very impressed by his presentation and ideas! I think his hypthesis is the best i have ever seen on the ME/CFS puzzle :)

Grigor, leela, FTY and 2 others like this.
  16. FTY

FTY

I agree - his ideas give me hope, a quiet but realistic hope I think. His theory seems to draw together lots of different factors and he has a very sensible approach. He doesn't think that it's going to be any one thing (rituximab, anti-virals etc) but a combination of many and I think that is the most likely conclusion. The cortisol connection is fascinating and makes a lot of sense. I think it'll be a long slow process of increasing understanding but better this than to keep grasping on to things that promise a cure and ending up being disappointed. Very glad that Dr Bansal is working on this he seems to be a voice of reason. I wish there was a way that we could ramp up the speed of research like this ...

leela, bertiedog, Kati and 1 other person like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Cortisol claims go back to the 80s. This refers to something else. I think it was Bansal who discussed this a few years back. This is more relevent:

The issue here is we have cells with lots of the inactive binding receptor, which inhibits a cortisol response. It is, I think, the beta cortisol receptor. So we might make cortisol but it does not work, a lot like people with thyroid resistance might have seemingly normal thyroid ranges, and people with insulin resistance can have seemingly normal insulin. Yet it may not be all tissues that are resistant, so simply giving cortisol might cause a correction but possibly also a hyper-cortisol response, including immune suppression. It needs to be fixed on the side of the response receptor, not the hormone.

I have alluded to this research a few times, I hope we see some good science published on this in the future.

Webdog, Grigor, MEMum and 7 others like this.
  18. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Has anyone been a patient of Dr Bansal and had any tests or treatment?

19. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I agree with you but Bansal was talking about alpha not Beta glucocorticoïd resistance if i was correct. Many receptor issues in ME/CFS/POTS have been found. Could it be that an infection (EBV?) mess up the B cells and make auto antibodies against these receptors as a cause of the whole disease?

leela and ukxmrv like this.
  20. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Yes, that was well worth my time.

Though wish he had of unpacked the 'treatment' slide further.

See more popular forum discussions.