Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Øystein Fluge to Give Public Talk in Norwich, UK, 26th Jan 2017

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Nov 18, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Mary, Joh, L'engle and 24 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Very pleased to see this. I know that livestreaming is expensive but I hope they might at least film it and upload it to YouTube later, for all of us who are housebound/bedbound and can't go to any of this stuff.

Johannawj, L'engle, mango and 7 others like this.
  3. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

I have asked if they will be doing this, the answer was essentially they'll see what they can do, hopefully they'll find a way.

4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Awesome

But cue SMC catching up with the headline " Norwegian villain sneakingly advertises life-threatening cancer medicine" ..

5. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Or just ignoring it altogether. I'm pretty sure the SMC is unable to see anything "foreign". They have some sort of cloaking device that protects them.

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I think the SMC sees what it's paid to see.

MEMum, TrixieStix, BurnA and 8 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

or for Hitch Hiker's Guide fans: an SEP field. (SEP= Somebody Else's Problem)

8. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Last year, Mady Hornig and Fane Mensah spoke at a Norwich meeting. Mady had been at the London Invest in ME Conference in May and returned to UK for the October meeting. Norwich is the base for the Invest in ME Research Centre of Excellence for ME and international collaboration is an integral feature of the work. I started a thread on yesterday's update on the UK Rituximab Research just fyi (I don't know if it was posted elsewhere).
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/uk-rituximab-research-update.47932

Kati, L'engle, justy and 5 others like this.
  9. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Fane Mensah and Mady Hornig speaking in Norwich October 2015 -

Fane Mady Norwich.jpg

Fane and Mady pictured with Ian Gibson at Norwich October 2015 -

Ian Mady Fane Norwich.jpg

Kati, L'engle, TrixieStix and 5 others like this.
  10. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Just saw this tweet on @Invest_in_ME Twitter feed (the charity has set up a separate Twitter account for the Centre of Excellence for ME - @CofEforME)

11. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I wish I could be there, hopefully their might be a filming of it on You Tube afterwards? If not then im sure people will update us on what was said.

MEMum, Johannawj, Jo Best and 3 others like this.
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

News - Professor Simon Carding will also be presenting at the meeting in Norwich.

13428020_10153741074482507_8766845586457556604_n.jpg

13. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Just watched the video of Dr. Fluge's presentation at a ME/CFS conference in Stockholm back in October. Great video. He mentions that they hope to release some findings very soon (weeks)once they clear peer review. Do you know if those findings have been released yet?

Here is a link to the Dr. Fluge presentation video from Stockholm (October)

wastwater, Mary, Dechi and 9 others like this.
  14. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Not to my knowledge. I can only guess that they are still stuck in the peer review process. I'm sure once they are released, due to the interest level, they will be quickly distributed but I can't offer any greater insight than that I'm afraid.

TrixieStix likes this.
  15. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I think fluge and Mella have found something significant in metabolisme.

TrixieStix and RL_sparky like this.
  16. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Hopefully they have come closer to figuring out which part of the energy pathway (ATP) system is causing the issue.

I'm intrigued by Dr. Fluge's comment in the above video that the body tries to use other things to make energy. He does not say what those other things are however? Also is the body able to actually produce energy using these other things or does it just try unsuccessfully?

17. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

What I particularly like about the work of Dr. Fluge's team (and Dr. Cambridge and Prof. Carding) is the way they're trying to formulate a hypothesis that ties together or makes sense of the complexities and multi-system nature of the disease. Perhaps this is because they are oncologists and can see that ME/CFS is a complex disease like cancer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  18. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

If I remember correctly the body has a number of different ways to generate energy. The results Ron Davis has come up with point to amino acids being used up for energy in patients way beyond the extent they would be in healthy controls.

I'm sure @Hip or others more scientifically minded will be able to correct/confirm.

Invisible Woman and TrixieStix like this.
  19. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Just some more background to the collaboration between the UK and Norwegian rituximab researchers, from October 2015 -
    Bergen visit.jpg

20. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

I :love: Dr. Fluge

See more popular forum discussions.