• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxycycline

Ema

I've taken it for a while now for Lyme disease. It works pretty well for me overall. I've had some stomach upset but it is typically pretty short lived. The monohydrate version is supposed to be easier on the stomach than the hyclate.

I also like that it is anti-inflammatory and may also have some antiviral (including anti-retroviral) properties as well as antimalarial activities. Hopefully that means it has activity against babesia as well since it is also found along with Lyme.

fibrodude84

I'm going to start 100 mg x 2 for a month to rule out lyme. I'm hoping it's my answer but doubtful.

Ema

I'm going to start 100 mg x 2 for a month to rule out lyme. I'm hoping it's my answer but doubtful.
That's probably too low a dose to do much good against Lyme.

I think 400 mg (200 mg twice daily) is the standard dose. Anything lower than 400-500 mg is likely to be bacteriostatic as opposed to bactericidal.

Typically abx are given in combination to eradicate each of the three forms of the bacteria. This might be something to consider if you feel better while on doxy and then relapse after stopping.

fibrodude84

My rheumy is following the CDC protocol and doesn't believe in high or longterm abx for lyme. Sigh I dunno.

Ema

My rheumy is following the CDC protocol and doesn't believe in high or longterm abx for lyme. Sigh I dunno.
Probably best to find a doctor with some experience treating Lyme.

I'd hate for you to do an ineffective trial and rule out Lyme when you just needed a more effective protocol. :(

fibrodude84

Thanks it's very complicated because of course treating for something that may or may not be the case is a risk. Add on my very active crohns disease and gut changes are bad. Thanks for weighing in.

fibrodude84

I'm on remicade and can't be off immunosuppressive meds because I keep having surgeries to chop intestines out. I am going to hopefully start LDN in addition though in a month or so. I'm really praying this will be the answer to my CD and ME.

Ema

I'm on remicade and can't be off immunosuppressive meds because I keep having surgeries to chop intestines out. I am going to hopefully start LDN in addition though in a month or so. I'm really praying this will be the answer to my CD and ME.
I hope so too. My good friend just lost the rest of her large intestine this summer. It was traumatic but she feels so much better now. I hope you are able to avoid that though!

sianrecovery

I took doxy for a year for protomyxzoa. I found it an easy med, but when I have tried again, I get quite severe stomach pain. If you do take it, remember to stay out of the sun - can dramatically increase your risk of sunburn - and to make sure you are sitting up or upright for at least thirty minutes afterwards - can ulcerate the oesophagus.

I started taking doxycycline two weeks ago for lyme. I take 200mg in the morning.

I don't get stomach problems, but I get major motion sickness issues starting about 30 minutes after taking it and lasting until about 2 hours after taking it. If I lie down with my eyes closed, I have no problems, but if I try to watch TV or use my laptop, I end up vomiting rather enthusiastically. Food is supposed to help if there's a stomach issue, but since my issue is entirely neurological, having food in my stomach just makes me feel a lot more serious about throwing up.

So when I wake up at 6am to use the bathroom, I then go take the doxy, wash it down with a full glass of water, and go back to bed for a couple hours to sleep it off. Then I feel pretty decent for several hours until I take another antibiotic and the hypotension hits :rolleyes:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I am starting doxy soon, alongside clarithromycin for Bart and Cpn. I didn't get on well with Rifampicin for Bart so my doc is changing it to these two. I have never had problems with Doxy before, so hopefully all will be well this time.