• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxycycline

Daffodil

I wanted to report that after getting really sick and vomiting with the doxycycline, I went back to my old high-carb, high-gluten diet for a week...after the doxy, everything I was eating on the diet made me feel nauseated. I binged on all sorts of things I was not supposed to have.

I now feel a lot worse, especially in my brain. all the gains I made with 3 months of the anti inflammatory diet are gone. I think part of me didn't really believe the diet was helping but now I know it really does. my throat and sinuses even feel worse now. I am also now experiencing more night sweats, which KDM told me is due to leaky gut.

A lot of people seem to have figured out long before me, that diet makes a difference with this disease. I started it only recently, after seeing KDM!

I sure hope I fair better with the minocycline :-/

Another issue is the VSL-3, which I have had to stop due to diarrhea.....hope the antibiotic use will be OK for the gut flora...:(

knackers323

I took for it a bit (about 4 days) and I felt Sooooo good on it. Is funny that you are posting this because for some reason I am craving it. I even tough of ordering some online, Not sure why but my body has been asking for it for weeks.

Hi I7, do you know why the abx made you feel so good, so quickly? I had a similar experience with klacid. Could it be the anti inflamitory effects? I wouldn't have thought we would feel that much better that quickly if it was killing bacteria?

If it made you feel better, why did you stop taking it? Thanks

Creekee

hi creekee, may I ask what side effects you are having with minocycline? I start that one today.
thanks

Hi @Daffodil,

So sorry you're struggling with the abx. And diet. It's a complicated process, isn't it?

I've been on the mino now for about seven weeks. I got my usual side effects right away: increased body pain, headache. Those lasted a little over a week. Then I got fluey stuff, dizziness and nausea. The flueys went away after about a month, but the dizzies and nausea hung on. :aghhh:

My provider said lower the dose or take breaks as needed. I've now done two complete stops, where I didn't take any mino at all for 48 hours. Each time, symptoms pretty much resolved, so I started again.

Now, at seven weeks, I seem to suddenly be doing okay at 3/4 dose (300 mgs a day). This is day 3 with no terrible side effects, so maybe I'm getting over the hurdle. A little early to be celebrating, but cautiously encouraged.

The doxy never gave me a tolerable day, the whole six months I took it. I lost 50 lbs and ended up in the emergency room. [ Hence, the new provider. ] Have since read that some women are unable to tolerate it. I know mino is related to doxy, so it will be interesting if it turns out we can handle the mino.

I'm also taking Plaquenil and am about to add Omnicef followed by pulsed Tindamax. Busily shoring up gut function wherever I can...

Lemme know if there's any way I can help. And thanks for sharing the journey!

Daffodil

Hi Creekee. Thanks for the reply. I am relieved the minocycline might be a little easier than the doxy. May i ask how long you have been ill?

Thanks
xox

Creekee

@Daffodil

Chronically since April of 1980. Prior to that, a series of miscellaneous problems (strep, ulcer, mono). Major crash in July of 2011, thanks to STILL not understanding that I could overdo things. :oops::oops:

Had five not-so bad days last week with the mino. Maybe things are lookin' up! How are you feeling?

:hug:

Daffodil

thanks creekee:) sorry you have had this so long. mono really seems to be a factor for most, me included.