• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxycycline and white specks

roller

wiggle jiggle
Hi everyone,

Shortly after taking Doxycycline more and more white specks appeared on the skin.

Less than two weeks into it, one morning a white patch (3-4 centimeter dia, really quite a circle) appeared on my upper wrist, seemingly consisting of these crumbs.

Does anyone know what crumbs come out of the skin?

It is soft roundish stuff, not even 0.5mm in diameter

(I'm have not been tested for MS/Lyme etc.)

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
There is something called tinea versicolor, which is a very superficial fungal infection of the epidermis. It can produce patches of discolouration with bits coming away. It may well be precipitated by taking antibiotics at times. There may be all sorts of minor fungal colonisations like this, of various colours, probably mostly of no great importance. Some of them itch. It may be worth getting medical advice if it is troublesome or enlarging.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Thanks, Jonathan. It could be rinsed off with water. Possibly there were even more patches, and I just noticed the very obvious one on the right wrist.
These white crumbs are no strangers to me. They accompanied me from early on, though things escalated now with anti-helminthic treatment.

However, I am puzzled that Doxycycline would cause such a reaction. It is also anti-filarial and anti-helminth medication, but as I am from Europe, I am unaware what helminth eggs or mite eggs or whatever would come through the skin?

I have so many issues all over the body, but of my wrist I never thought anything bad really.

And then, strangely, this was a circle. not super-perfect, but almost that.

What bright white loose crumbs, roundish and smooth, may come through the skin?

Appreciate any ideas, as the whole crumbs-thing was obviously a major player.

(a very few black crumbs there are occassionally, too)
puberty to early 20s I had Tenosynovitis on the right wrist - now almost 30 years ago.

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
Thats something different, IreneF, but thanks for input.

normally, the white crumbs occur as "single" crumbs on the skin.
their number increased after taking doxycycline.

halcyon

@roller does it look like keratosis pilaris at all?

keratos-pilaris.jpg

roller

wiggle jiggle
no, not at all.

bright white less than 1/2 mm crumbs.

its not IN the skin it is ON the skin, on top of it - just sweep it away.

i am so afraid, i dont have a pic.

roller

wiggle jiggle
its mites.

as said, i know them for ages.
it much increased with doxy (the patch appeared) and moreover with some anti-helminth medication. i thought it was worms eggs, as other helminth infected reported on "shedding eggs".

found also a source, saying scabies sits on the feet (ankles) and the wrists, preferably. that doesnt rule out other mites like it there too, mostly.
though, im still puzzled by that beautiful roundness it came out in.

whatever, its mites (perhaps their eggs), not worms.

we (= village, home) had birds, cats, dogs, various (uncontrolled) lakes and other waters where occassionally swam worms and small snails along, playing in dirt of course. and what not.

...and there were also these tiny round spiders on the concrete. they are called "Bryobia praetiosa", the clover mite

"there have been occasional reports of it occurring as an ectoparasite on humans, particularly children. It causes an itchy skin irritation.[7] There has also been an isolated case report of an infestation in a domestic cat.[8]
Wolbachia can lead to asexual reproduction in mites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryobia

Outside of insects, Wolbachia infects a variety of isopod species,spiders,mites, and many species of filarial nematodes ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolbachia

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
Magnetic treating of honeybees infested with mites or other parasites
A method for treating honeybees for mite or parasite infestation by exposing the hive to a magnetic field which is limited but which is still greater than two orders of magnitude stronger than the magnetic field of the earth. Such a magnetic field combats the mite or parasite infestation, but the magnetic field is not so strong as to affect the viability of the bees themselves.
http://www.google.com/patents/US5162014