• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxepin - Is it a good choice for first-ever sleep aid (for deep sleep)?

I've never taken a sleeping pill in my life, but after waking up tired for the last year and a half, I'm ready for some help. I don't need help falling asleep but would love to get some sort of restorative sleep. I've read that low-dose Doxepin may be helpful and would appreciate any advice about this.

I'm also on antihistamines 24/7 (for chronic idopathic uritcaria), and so I need to think about interactions. And, if age is a factor - I'm 65. Thanks for any input!

LaurelW

This worked really well for me some years ago, but it made me gain so much weight I had to give it up. I tried it again last year, and it didn't really work, and I gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks that I have yet to shed.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Doxepin has antihistamine properties which is probably one reason it helps with sleep. That may or may not be a good thing in your case. I took it years back and it helped me sleep some but I found that I needed a dose that was high enough that it resulted in a hangover. I had no way to measure it at the time - now I have a Zeo which helps me monitor my sleep and I've learned that my impressions are borne out by the Zeo measurements.

I think it's a reasonable first step for tacking sleep. Many people (esp. ME patients) get too drugged by the smallest tablet/capsure size (10mg) so you might want to look into the elixer. Here' a thread you might want to check out.

Best of luck.

TheMoonIsBlue

Hi LaurelW,

I keep reading about the weight gain issue with Doxepin. I wonder if it is dose dependant. How many milligrams were you taking? I wonder why weight gain is such an issue for so many with this med, if the doses used are very low......maybe it is just something with all trycyclics?

Thank you all for this very helpful information. Interesting about the antihistamine properties of the drug as well as the weight-gain issue. Over the last 15 years, I've built up quite a tolerance for antihistamines. So, I'm not sure if a sleep aid that relies at least in part on antihistamine properties is a good choice for me or not.

As it happens, the antihistamine I rely on, ketotifen fumerate, is also associated with weight gain. So I feel somewhat cautious about adding another drug with that association, especially since I can't exercise any more.

Again, thanks! Much to ponder.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
great for sleep but can make u feel groogy the next day so try it when u having nothing planned the next day. I also put weight on with this meds when used nightly but using it every so often helped me avoid weight gain.

cheers!!!

*GG*

Doxepin did not work for me, but I take Mirtazapine, started at 15mgs or so, now up to 30mg/night. I also use a VPAP with oxygen, and I feel much better when I wake in the morning now, I also wake up later, later work start time. I also take 3mgs of Melatonin and LDN, and just went up to 6mgs/ of Tinzanidine.

GG