Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Double homozygous MTHRF, MTRR & CBS... Where to start?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by mamabear72, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mamabear72

mamabear72

I just received my 23andme results and really don't know where to start. If anyone could interpret my results I would be forever grateful. Thank you!

Thank you! Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 11.14.27 AM.png

2. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    The MTHFR C677T and MTRRK350A +/+ would both slow the respective enzymes, especially the former.

Both these enzymatic reactions are required to be functional for methionine synthase (MTR) to work well, so it is a bit of a double whammy.

Having said that, these variants a fairly common, so they are not going to be the cause of your health problems, though could certainly be making a contribution.

For MTHFR, supplementation with its cofactor B2 may help stimulate a sluggish enzyme, and supplementation with the end product of the reaction, methylfolate, may also be helpful.

A slow MTRR may mean the B12 is not recycled well, ie it is in a sense wasted. Supplementation with methylB12 may be helpful.

Here is a post I wrote recently about more general issues involved with active B12 supplementation.

The only other SNP which has any consequence is the first COMT. +/- would have a slight slowing of the enzyme. Supplementation with the cofactor magnesium might be helpful.

It is claimed the COMT SNPs mean intolerance of methyl groups. This is a theory with no evidence, and plenty of people who are COMT +/+ have no trouble with methyl groups.

Some are very sensitive to supplements like methylfolate and methylB12, so proceed cautiously, but it has nothing to do with COMT.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.