The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dormant viral genes may awaken to cause ALS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kati, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Read more here: http://www.nih.gov/news/health/sep2015/ninds-30.htm

Hutan, catly, Sushi and 6 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Just when you thought it was safe to venture back out into the water...:cautious:

alkt likes this.
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Sorry... I'm just the messenger... Don't shoot :nerd:

duncan likes this.
  4. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Wow! That is great for people with ALS, it is a truly horrible disease. I hope the antiretrovirals work.

Can't wait to see what Ron Davis finds in his severely ill patient study. Could be a HERV reactivated by a new virus.

Notice this genes and viruses work is being done by NINDS. Imagine the cross over benefits if ME/CFS moves to NINDS.

natasa778, Effi, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Very interesting. This seems like quite a comprehensive research study. I wonder if the findings will have any relevance and knock-on effects for other illnesses. Nice to see that they are carrying out a small clinical trial for treatment using antiretrovirals.

The bolded text is interesting. I hope that means they will follow up the findings until they find an effective treatment.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Sushi, Effi, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    catly, Sushi, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  7. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

The HERV central to this work is HERV-K, and the offending protein is part of the env gene. (Anyone remember me talking about env genes in HERVs?) It is still possible HERV-K transcription is being stimulated by an unidentified retrovirus. This does take place with HIV infection and HERV-K111, even though there are great differences in the sequences. It also appears to take place in the association between BLV infection and breast cancer, which has long been known to produce sequences resembling beta retroviruses, even though BLV is a delta retrovirus.

natasa778 and Never Give Up like this.

See more popular forum discussions.