New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Don't tell cancer patients what they could be doing to cure themselves" (relevance for ME/CFS)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sasha, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    James Coyne linked to this excellent article by Stephen W. Thrasher about people's stupid suggestions about what his sister (who died of cancer) should have done to cure herself.

Rang lots of bells, including:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Dolphin, alkt, green_monster and 24 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Yes, that was a good one. I'll include the link from The Guardian for those who'd like to read the whole text.

Sasha likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Oops - I should have done that! I'll edit it in. Thanks!

Kalliope likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Yes, I thought this was relevant to PR discussions - some home truths maybe.

5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Excellent. How to tell well-meaning people where to shove it without causing offence is an issue I continue to deal with.

Izola, PennyIA, green_monster and 2 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    There was an excellent and very funny blog piece that someone wrote that was mentioned on the forums a while back that would be great to print off and carry around for exactly that purpose. You might not maintain your relationship with the person afterwards but maybe that would be no great loss.

Wish I could remember where it is!

TiredSam likes this.
  7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I think the article also explains in some way why certain people without ME/CFS find it so hard to accept GET/ CBT don't work.
    It's convenient for them to think patients can try something and its very inconvenient to accept it doesn't work because then they run out of things to suggest .

green_monster, Mel9 and Aurator like this.
  8. TiredSam

Germany
    The problem is that in all other respects this person is very nice and I'd hate to spoil the relationship, or also sour the atmosphere in the group. I don't really mind being told that bio-resonance therapy was the answer to her skin problems, what bothers me is being told that I should try it and then having to justify my complete lack of interest (there's no point in saying "it's a load of bollocks" so I just said it's not something I feel like looking into now).

I usually have no trouble telling deluded woo-merchants where to shove it and not caring how they react, the problem here is the rare case where I'd prefer not to damage the relationship. Haven't found the answer yet, but if I don't I'll probably end up getting increasingly direct and rude until they get the message. Maybe that is the answer.

MeSci, Mel9, barbc56 and 4 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

Germany
    If only that were true.

10. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Wow! Just wow!

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have found this works. Its about the only thing that does with people who are persistent.

12. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I have lost a few friends this way - including some with quite mild ME. It's amazing how sensitive folk can be about having their advice gently and respectfully turned down while you're not supposed to have a problem with their crap being shoved down your throat!

13. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Severity is not the only variable that can cause friction between friends who both have ME. Duration is also a factor. While recently diagnosed, I developed a friendship with a woman who had been ill for ten years. I was in the "unreasonably optimistic" phase, with no suspicion I'd still be impaired more than 25 years down the road. Her less-positive mindset was based on much more experience, after being knocked down over and over again.

Although I'm not aware of having made, or expressed, any value judgments regarding her circumstances, she found my optimism irritating. She may have misinterpreted my attempts to find a solution for myself as implying she hadn't tried hard enough. At the time, I couldn't entirely understand why our friendship didn't last much more than a year. Now I do. Although our circumstances were similar, our approach was very different at that point in time. Perhaps if we'd met a few years later, our relationship may have been more successful.

Amaya2014, Mij, Valentijn and 11 others like this.
  14. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I

We need to learn how to quickly change the subject when our well meaning friends start trying to advise us

jimells, Invisible Woman and TiredSam like this.
  15. TiredSam

Germany
    I'll try that, thanks :). If I cut everyone with deluded irrational beliefs out of my life there'll be hardly anyone left, and some of them are alright really, apart from their deluded irrational beliefs and their tendency to project their fear of death onto me. Can't really be too harsh on them for suffering from the human condition.

16. Hip

Hip Senior Member

An interesting approach. Graded rudeness therapy for alternative health practitioners!

I agree alternative health suggestions can sometimes be annoying, but I think you also have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater: I had some email contact with a guy in Australia who contracted idiopathic myelofibrosis, a fatal, non curable, non treatable leukemia that the oncologist said would result in a quick death.

But after taking 5000 mcg daily of selenium orally as sodium selenite (along with 40 grams daily of IV ascorbic acid), within 5 weeks his cancer was in full remission. This was 5 years ago.

I was so intrigued by his case, that I felt compelled to research it further, and ended up writing a long post here about all the science I could find behind sodium selenite as a cancer treatment.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Izola, Mij, jimells and 4 others like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    :)

Izola, Valentijn, leela and 4 others like this.
  18. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Occasionally when someone has told me that a particular supplement might be my ticket to improved health, I've said "Wow, that sounds wonderful, but I'm broke, could you buy it for me?" Not much discussion happens afterwards!

Amaya2014, jimells, mango and 10 others like this.
  19. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Genius!

Invisible Woman, *GG* and Mel9 like this.
  20. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    My next-door neighbor used to try to coax me out for walks in a well-meaning way, parroting the "common sense" that fresh air and exercise helps everything. He is pretty much cured of that, now that he is recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen and a second slug through the palm.

Almost dying is a helluva way to find out that exercise doesn't cure fatigue.

(He is pretty well recovered now, although he still gets tired easily)

Sidereal and Mel9 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.