1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Don't know what to do, need help!

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by girlfromeurope, Dec 26, 2013.

1. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    Hi
    A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with b12 deficiency.
    So I tried the protocol and the first week I felt great. My anxiety and depression were suddenly gone.

But then I started feeling awful and got low potassium symptoms
    My low potassium symptoms were anxiety, depression, muscle spasms, severe weakness, and more.
    This week I started taking a lot of potassium. My symptoms are less severe( I don't feel like I'm dying anymore) but I keep feeling very depressed and have no appetite. I still have heart palpitations and my blood pressure is high and at night I still have the muscle weakness and dizzyness . But taking more potassium doesn't seem to make me feel better.Yesterday I took about 2000-3000 mg but didn't make me feel better. I don't know if i'm taking too much or to little, it both causes the same symptoms. I also take magnesium/calcium supplement. Are there more people here with adrenal fatigue who have problems with potassium?

I don't know what is making me feel so bad. I also have increased acne so I tried increasing methylfolate but it doesn't seem to help.I took 2000 mcg metafolin today.It seems to make me more dizzy and sensitive to noise. And i have increased tinnitus.
    I'm scared that taking a lot of methylfolate makes my b12 deficiency worse. I took 2000 mcg metafolin today and 3000 mcg b12. I don't know if I need less or more. In what ratio are most people here taking metafolin/b12?

I don't know what to do I feel so depressed I'm crying everyday, even now when I'm writing this thread.
    There is no doctor I can talk about it. The only people I can talk to about it are people on this forum.

Thanks for listening
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    @girlfromeurope

Hello GFE

It can be very frightening and confusing when trying some therapy with this illness.
    I've been here a few years and I have very limited funds to do or try things. When I think about the methyl protocol I get confused too thinking about what a symptom I'm feeling means.
    I have no expertise but I would suggest to you that a course of action that could do no harm would be to pull back on the amount of both B12 and metafolin you are taking.
    And just maintain the amount of potassium that was making you feel better and perhaps up the magnesium dose.
    These protocols are complicated also by which brand we choose from what is available to us. The magnesium I use is a magnesium bisglycinate and has a 40mg dose of taurine with it. It is a 150 mg per capsule dose. I take about four (total) dosed throughout the day at the moment.

I hope you start to feel better very soon.
    The one sure thing in life is that if you wait, things will change.
    :hug: SD
  3. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    Thanks for your reply
    I take 100 mg magnesium but i find that taking more magnesium balances out my potassium because it often makes me worse.
    The feeling I'm having is probably from low potassium.
    But taking 500 mg a couple times a day doesn't make me feel better.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Do you take the 500mg at once?
    I'm new to this too. I'm older and uber cautious about upsetting a system that has been through a lot so I only ever take two at a time and spread them out as follows: two upon waking and with food, one at lunch or middle of afternoon (depending on my rising/breakfast time),
    two with dinner and then one before bed. If you did this it would add one more potassium per day. I've had no bad reactions so far.
    And of course, the usual caveat applies; that we're all different and respond individually.
    But if it's an issue of too much at one go it will be easy to correct.
    Again, I hope you find out what is making you feel so unwell.
    regards,
    SD
  5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi gfe. I'm posting a few extracts from Freddd's comments that might be useful. The first links to an excellent FAQ re the protocol, compiled by phoenixrising member howirecovered. Sorry I don't have the wherewithal to comment specifically myself. I'm going very slowly, adding Mfolate by 200mcg amounts, now taking 1.9 mg w/ 5 mg MB12, 5 mg AdB12, 500mg L-Carnitine Fumarate. When I decreased my B vitamins, as you'll see in the following quotes, I was able to decrease my potassium A LOT!. I use potassium gluconate powder, much easier that the small dosages of tablets. I'm also using my potassium primarily in footbaths, with many of my other supps, which works for me. My baseline K+ 500mg, but when it's hot or detoxxing, or other stressors, it goes up, easily to 2000mg 2-3 times daily. Hope some of this is helpful to you. Some of my biggest issues have been anxiety, agitation, it's hard, I know. Do you have your other minerals as well? zinc, manganese, molybd...cheers, ahmo

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    S.A. and Snowdrop like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    I may just refer to the links posted by @ahmo as well.
    Another thought too is that it is suggested to drink a full glass of water, (maybe 6 oz) with the tabs.
    And maybe this gets addressed in one of the links but I'm wondering how potassium may affect sodium balance.
  7. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    Hi ahmo
    thanks for your help
    Do you mean you take 2000 mg potassium 2-3 times a day?
    That seems a lot
    I don't dare taking that much as I have adrenal problems.
    I don't take any other b's or other things that can decrease potassium more.
  8. GaryK

GaryK

Canada Niagara Falls
    sounds just like me for many years and I'm always much more sadened when younger people get this. It is so hard at the best of times to cope but not imposible. your tinitis is getting worse you say? Any Chronic sinis infection? These two symptoms are what it all cropped to the surface and got worse after my major EBV Mono infection I fought for over 6 months in 1998. Please use rest and learn to do what you can in a position that helps your upper blood flow Head/Chest Heart. back in 2011 I was mostly bed bound but now I'm out of my bed to do limitied non exsertional work... cooking dishes that sort of thing . I limit my time up on my feet and rest accordingly. I also try to get exra rest/sleep nightly. I have just started back painting and Model work profetionally and do most of this in a supine position on my bed with pillows and a higher dose of Beta blocker helped to get my off high blood presure meds.

Keep you chin up and know your not alone in this keep reaching out. Its boards like this that lead me to my path/jurney to coping with this nasty illness but I like to think it's almost tamable or at least we can get to know our limits better by listening to our bodies so much morew than most.

I see it this way my head fluids are not draining properly and your autonomic nervous center is being signaled for emergency. I used a heart rate monitor to help me get to know this type of mess I'm in and sort it out... don't get me wrong I'm still learning every day of my limits but it helps to know these vital signals are really out of wack when we do the simplest of things. I get hot flashes when I'm on my feet too long or sitting up in a straight up chair.So this is a great signal I need to get in that inclined position for awhile. If I go too long in upright position I am exausted and I feel my neck glands swelling to a point of great pain right under the ear/back Jaw.

I have no doctors helping me on this end accept one immuneologist saying she thinks I have an auto immune disease that science has yet to find.
    She has seen that my lung oxygen intake is really off and has seen my weakness on sme visits. Of course it helps that she was just dianose with MS two years ago so she has some understanding to our plight now.

So the only meds I take because I cant aford anything else is my thyroid medication and the Beta blocker per day.
    I have tried some Vitamans E and D and taken B12 when I could afford them before but they really didnt help as much as the rest and positioning has.

I also watch how much I eat too per meal and of course what I eat is so inportant to our gut. Not taxing the gut with heavy meals per siting is helpful in our fluid circulation too and helps the bowel as most of us have IBS issues as I have since this all started.

well I hope I've helped in any way GFE.

Gary K
  9. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    Thanks Gary K, any comment is a help for me
  10. veronica_corningstone

veronica_corningstone

I take about 12mg B12 and 200mcg methylfolate. At one point, I was taking 6-7g per day of potassium, but then cut back on B1, B2, and B3 and now take 3-4g potassium per day. You might try reading up on Yasko's forum - there's a lot of information about some people needing lithium orotate with B12. With high doses of B12, your body can dump its lithium and you'll feel awful. I take about 6mg per day of lithium orotate.
    taniaaust1, S.A. and girlfromeurope like this.
  11. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Yes, that's what I've used when necessary, not routinely.

For both gfe and @GaryK, I've just been reading this thread re supps for anxiety. The ones in the first pages were not good for me, but on this last page, the suggestion for arginine is interesting. You might find it useful. And there's this:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/page-15

This sounds like it might be what Dr. Ben Lynch, MTHFR expert, describes. He recommends using B3 to slow down the reactions in the link below. Best to you, ahmo

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/
    taniaaust1 and girlfromeurope like this.
  12. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Hi @Gfe
    Undermethylation goes hand in hand with high copper tissue levels which can cause low cellular potassium uptake.
    Getting the copper/zinc ratio more balanced can increase cellular potassium uptake. Your tinnitus and acne are also symptoms of lower zinc levels.
    If you decide to try zinc supplementation then be careful and start with low dosages to prevent a large influx of copper into the bloodstream initially.
    These articles explain more fully.
    http://www.malterinstitute.org/potassiumtox.pdf
    http://www.tvernonlac.com/copper-toxicity.html
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Are you seeing a physician? I couldn't tell from your posts or either missed it with this with my foggy thinking today.

Low potassium is very dangerous. I had low sodium which is another electrolyte and was h ospitalized. It turned out that it was a medication and when switched to another my sodium level became normal. My sodium as well as other electrolytes are monitored but after five years have not lowered.

I was also B12 deficient, had the shots but it did not help other than knowing that my B12 was normal.

I don't usually post on this forum but when I saw the low potassium, I could relate.

Good luck.
  14. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    Sometimes it seems that taking potassium makes me feel worse.
    Can you get depressed from taking too much potassium?
    I read that symptoms of high and low potassium are the same, and I get depressed from low potassium.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  15. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

It sounds unlikely that potassium alone could worsen your depression symptoms, at least not directly. Maybe it is upsetting your GI tract which in turn can add more stress on the nervous system. It's difficult to say, everyone reacts differently.

I personally have surrendered to always find a correlation between worsening of the symptoms and food or supplements I take. I used to blame those as soon as would get worse, only to understand later that it was unlikely. Of course if the phenomena persists on each occasion you take potassium, something IS going on and possibly your body is trying to tell you that it doesn't appreciate it.

Best of luck
  16. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    gfe,

You said adrenal problems...primary adrenal sufficiency is associated with too much potassium, and taking more can be dangerous if that's what you have. Please be careful!
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  17. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I know. I think I was taking too much
  18. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    You say you have high Aldosterone, are you taking any drugs for this?
  19. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I have low aldosterone and don't take any medication
  20. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US
    Hi GFE.

My experience is you should definitely not supplement K at 500mg per dose. There's a reason most brands come in 100mg or less tablets/capsules. It's a pain, but if you require, say 2000mg K per day, try to find way to dole it out over long period.

One possible way is to get capsules, empty 20 (if 100 mgs ea.) into thermos of water and sip on it throughout day. Good luck.
    girlfromeurope and Snowdrop like this.

See more popular forum discussions.