Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Doing a Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS)

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by jamienoble, Nov 12, 2015.

1. parpar

parpar

hi , im doing genome analysis and comparing data of different people with CFS if you would like to share your results let me know

2. Snoozy

Snoozy

Sure, that won't be a problem at all. I expect my results in a couple of months or so (the wait time is 10 weeks for a WGS). I will say that I will (eventually) be referred for an evaluation of my sleep though - so I'm still not entirely sure whether I have CFS or not. It will be interesting to see whether my data correlates with others.

pattismith likes this.
  3. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

@parpar any update on this? any guidance on the best service so far?

4. parpar

parpar

until now no one has sent me anything . i used BGI to do my exome sequencing since they give 100X coverage

5. shoponl

shoponl

Dante Labs now has WGS at 30x coverage for $499. Exome is $399. https://us.dantelabs.com/collections/our-tests

Great price! But... if I'm reading this (https://us.dantelabs.com/pages/privacy-policy) correctly, pharmaceutical companies can buy "non-identifying" genetic information from Dante without my consent. My concern is that "non-identifying" information today may become "identifying" tomorrow, with technological improvements. Does this matter? And is the sale of data normal in the industry? I'm not sure.

Thoughts? I'm tempted but hesitant.

*edited to add:

Here's a quote from their privacy policy. I'm okay with aggregated data being shared, but "anonymous information" has me wondering. Also the privacy policy is poorly organized; there is no section labeled 4.d.

"What happens if you do NOT consent to Dante Labs Research?
    1. If you do not complete a Consent Document or any additional consent agreement with Dante Labs, your information will not be used for Dante Labs Research. However, your Genetic Information and Self-Reported Information may still be used by us and shared with our third-party service providers to provide and improve our Services (as described in Section 4.a), and shared as Aggregate or Anonymous Information that does not reasonably identify you as an individual (as described in Section 4.d)."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    That is indeed a very tempting price. However, the potential "leak" of personal information is off-putting...

7. shoponl

shoponl

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-re...ta-driven-rare-disease-program-676636293.html
    "Meanwhile, Dante Labs has strengthened its security and privacy capabilities in advance of the European GDPR in May. In addition to its US-EU Privacy Shield Certification, Dante Labs has received the Cyber Essentials Certification, which is necessary to become a service provider to the British National Health System. "Privacy and security are paramount to us," stated Riposati. "All our samples are anonymous. Data, DNA, reports and samples have no personal identification information, not even the country of origin. Our first patent application was about a proprietary cyber security system."

So-- maybe privacy won't be an issue after all.

Has anyone here tested with them, and received their results?

8. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Genos, which I have used and received results from, gives 125 X coverage for $499. Results are provided in VCF format or a Promethease compatible version can be obtained.

nanonug, Helen and shoponl like this.
  9. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    It's not whole genome sequencing, though, is it?

shoponl likes this.
  10. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member

Have you received your results?
    And do you know if you can get the data in a format that you can use in Promethease or Enlis or similar?

11. robinhood12345

robinhood12345 Senior Member

So did you end up having a genetic disease? I just ordered a kit from dante labs, and look forward to getting the results from that as I assume I have a genetic disease also.

See more popular forum discussions.