• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does your urine smell of ammonia sometimes?

WoolPippi

Mine does. I thought the cat was pissing in the loo :cat:

I think it's when I take too much mB12 without taking Phosphatidylserine afterwards. But really, I don't know much so would love to hear your random thoughts on this.:hug:

It lasts for about a day. Hence connected to my food, I think. It's when I eat protein.
I take quite a bit of mB12 and methylfolate with protein. Maybe 1/3rd of a pill.

I'm supposed to take Phosphatidylserine after this but sometimes I forget. It's needed because otherwise the cells fill up with ammonia. They might overspill into the urine?

I'm homozygous for MTR/MTRR; VDR Taq and have that weird hetero-combination of MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C667T

Nothing much on the detox panel, just CYP2C19*17 homozygous

I avoid sulphurous foods.

Any thoughts or shared experiences appreciated.

barbc56

This could be from many things. from dehydration to diabetes. I would see your doctor to see if you need to get a referral to a urologist. I have to avoid some supplements as my kidney leaks calcium which causes kidney stones. It's not serious and simply take a small dosage of a diazide blood diuretic. Certain medicaations and supplements can affect your kidneys.

I've learned from experience to not delay seeing a urologist.

Good luck.

Edit Here's an informative resource.

http://m.md-health.com/Ammonia-Smell-In-Urine.html

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Ive had a smelling like ammonia bleach smell on occassions (never when I was healthy though) but in my case it seems to come from my skin. I ended up reading somewhere that its to do with one of my gene mutations (sorry I forget now which one)

PeterPositive

Sometimes it happens. I am not sure if it is ammonia or just smell of "something acidic" ... but yeah it's pretty similar to ammonia. It's not too strong but when it happens it stands out.

The strange part is that it seems connected to niacinamide. Sometimes I take it when I feel anxiety rising up, typically 100-200mg and for the next 12-24hrs my pee has a pretty rough smell.

Maybe I am confusing ammonia with something else? Is it just niacinamide going out and causing a pungent smell?

trails

Mine smells musty, like laundry left in the washer too long. Very distinctive. Unfortunately (for me), my doctors have shrugged it off, and I've never heard anyone else on this forum report a similar odor.

Last edited:

*GG*

I don't take any extra B vitamins except what is in my Multivitamin. 3 summers ago, was trying to do low-carb, and exercising, noticed my sweat smelled like ammonia. Kinda gross, but figured it was good for my body to be expelling that.

GG