Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does TMG or Betaine HCL deplete folate?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by dannybex, Dec 1, 2014.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I've been taking betaine HCL for years, sometimes less, but lately need quite a bit more, and since it contains betaine anhydrous (TMG), I'm wondering if I've been depleting any sort of folate that I'm eating or taking?

(I"ve been taking folinic -- seems to work the best for me -- but maybe not taking enough?)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @dannybex - Hi Dan - I've been taking betaine HCL for years with no problem. I do take 1600 mcg. of methylfolate a day and it doesn't seem to get depleted by the HCL.

I don't think that betaine hydrochloride is the same as betaine anhydrous (TMG). Maybe they're related? Hopefully someone with a chemistry background will step in here!

Mary

dannybex likes this.
  3. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    They are both methyl donors but I never heard of it being antagonistic to folate.

dannybex likes this.
  4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi Mary,

Shoot, I meant to reply to this a month ago(!). I thought they were two different compounds, and they are, but just slightly. Betaine HCL just has a chloride added to it, but it is like TMG w/chloride to help increase stomach acid.

That's why I was asking, since I'm taking pretty high doses, and have for years and years. Still wondering if it drains folate or not...

See more popular forum discussions.