August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does taking glutamine cause more glutamate?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by ebethc, Apr 29, 2017.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

i love glutamine but don't want more glutamate... does the former result in the latter?

I read that glutamate creation requires an extra ion, but I don't know how easily this happens.. not good at chemistry!

2. keenly

keenly

UK
    Good question. The answer is possibly. Not guaranteed though.

ebethc likes this.
  3. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    Whenever I use Glutamine (for attempting heal Gut), I get headaches, anxiety, tightness in chest and disorientation. Hence after a few attempts, I will not use it any more and presume this is excess glutamate

ebethc and Asklipia like this.
  4. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@ChrisD i feel great on it... in fact it's one of the few things that clears my brain fog ..not completely, but it makes my head feel calmer, oddly enough... which is confusing, based on what I've read about glutamate! Your reaction sounds more likely than mine

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    The only benefit I do notice is that all of my joints and muscles become much stronger and I have no cracking/crepitus as per usual... very bizarre

6. Viking

Viking

Please proceed very carefully.. I had severe excitotoxicty issues after taking supplemental L Glutamine. Dr Martin Pall feels excess glutamate is a key part of CFS and chemical sensitivity.

ChrisD likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.