Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does successful Rituximab treatment also resolve POTS & hypoglycaemia?

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Kenny Banya, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Wondering how these physical symptoms are considered 'resolved'

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome might be resolved because with more activity the heart's 'standard' pulse pressure increases? Hence no need to increase pulse rate.
    Then again, if it is brain (brain stem?) signalling to the heart regarding pulse pressure, how does increased immunity affect brain signalling.
    Then there's hypoglycaemia - maybe the change in cells from Rituximab allow the cells to process glucose better. Maybe the ADP cycle is fixed.
    Questions, questions....

Basilico likes this.
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

What the two have in common would be beta adrenergic receptors not working properly. As recent research has shown, there might be autoantibodies that are blocking activation of these receptors in POTS patients. So rituximab might improve both things by depleting the B cells that are producing the autoantibodies that are blocking beta adrenergic receptor function in the body.

TrixieStix, ukxmrv, Basilico and 6 others like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    This is why you, @halcyon, are one of PR's rockstars. One day all of this data is going to congeal and make sense to me...cannot wait for the day when there is a textbook describing ME/CFS based on biological research.

TrixieStix, Izola, Jesse2233 and 3 others like this.
  4. Kenny Banya

Australia
    Do you have any references about the potential connection between Rituximab & beta adrenergic receptors (BAR)?
    Or any links on drugs that have affected BAR?

5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

This came up in the Charite study. It's not a direct connection. Rituximab has no direct effect on adrenergic receptors as far as I know.

6. Kenny Banya

Australia
    Thanks. Have now read it.
    I guess what it is saying is in the current trial, 30% have responded to Rituximab treatment (at least based on autoantibody decline) and this has resulted in the correct function of neuronal signals (transmitters reaching receptors) for the heart to pump at an adequate pressure.

See more popular forum discussions.