• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does resistant starch cause prevotella growth?

lizw118

I read on this site: http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2014/03/24/resistant-starch/#_edn11
that prevotella growth can be exacerbated by RS. This is troubling to me because I already know that prevotella tends to be overgrown for me (via fecal testing). In fact, I am on long term metronidazole and sometimes I suspect that the reason it makes me feel better is because it keeps the prevotella at bay. I don't want to go against that by taking RS if it make prevotella worse, though. Thoughts?

end

• RA has been linked to increased intestinal populations ofPrevotella copri and a decrease in Bacteroides strains,[10] Yet Prevotella is associated with carbohydrate-based diets while Bacteroides is associated with animal-based diets.[11]
I didn't know RS could do that. Thanks for the heads up