1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does pantothenic acid (B5) 'stimulate' the adrenals?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by dannybex, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Weird question I know, but about 2 years ago I was told not to take pantothenic acid, because my adrenals were diagnosed as being in the 'burnout' stage -- i.e., putting out too much cortisol at certain times of the day -- and taking any B-5 would just make things worse.

So I've avoided taking it, things haven't gotten any better, in fact are worse, and so now I'm wondering if it's perhaps something I should've been taking, even in small doses, all along.I've read that cortisol is made from pantothenic acid and cholesterol…not sure if that's correct…but I guess my question still comes back to…Does B-5 actually stimulate the adrenals to put out more cortisol?Thanks in advance,

Dan

allyb likes this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I remember reading that the dose used was 1000mg and above.
    The first time i used 1000mg it overstimulated me alot and had issues sleeping.
    I did use lower dose 500mg and it did help with energy.
    Im not really sure by what mechanisms it works.
    I didnt follow on much with the b5 as i ended up using dhea and pregnenolone instead.
    I think i read it from dr lam's adrernal fatigue site where he recommended high doses of vit c and b5.

3. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thanks Heaps, that's kind of what I've read elsewhere. I did look on Lams site awhile back and while he gives lots of information, he also is kind of vague, and says he can only answer in specifics if one does a consultation or program with him. Which makes sense, but that's why I haven't been able to get answers there…yet. :)

4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Almost a year later, and I still haven't really taken the pantothenic plunge. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else felt like pantothenic acid was stimulating?

5. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Hi Dan. I have been on and off with B5 (aka pantothenic acid) for years. I take it in conjunction with Vitamin C, usually taking twice as much B5 as Vit. C, in my case 500 mg B5/1000 mg Vit C up to 4 or 5 times a day.

At times I have taken up to 3000 mg/day of B5 to help my tanked adreanls. I have never found it over-stimulating, (in fact there have been times where even high doses did not phase me), but I know other people who have.

With supplements you never know how it will work for a specific individual.

There are many other options to boost adrenals: schisandra, ashwghanda, eleuthero root, sarsparilla, and licorice. I rotate them around, so that I don't get too acclimated.

dannybex and helen1 like this.
  6. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thanks DB. Yup, we're all different, and of course that's a good thing, but when it comes to this #@**!!! illness, I wish we all had the same reactions. :)

My BP has been fluctuating wildly the last couple years, (plus the old salicylate issue) so I don't think I could go with the herbals, esp licorice, but the other reason I was asking was because pantothenate is essential for so many other functions, and I'm starting to think that avoiding it has been a mistake.

I've lost a lot of muscle, but also fat -- even though I never had much of either in the first place! But the fat pads on the bottom of my feet, and even on my fingertips have decreased significantly, and I remember reading something about PA's connection to fat metabolism and the krebs cycle.

And then there's this:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=87

"In addition to breaking down fats as fuel, pantothenic acid—via the CoA molecule—is necessary for building fats for storage."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=87

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by when they say "for storage"…but definitely need to 'build fats'.

Dreambirdie likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.