1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

does NAC really cause damage?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by physicsstudent13, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I was reading in Stephen Buhner's new book, Healing Lyme Coinfections Bartonella and Mycoplasma, that NAC in high doses can break up biofilms. This can be a double edged sword since it can release more infectious bacteria into a person's system.

It's possible that some people react badly to NAC due to thiol sensitivity either from mercury toxicity and/or certain CBS mutations.

Also, many people here are low in glutathione and have high glutamate levels. Since cysteine is a rate-limiting factor for glutathione (which is made up of cysteine, glycine, and glutamate) people can potentially both increase glutathione and decrease glutamate by taking either NAC, L-cysteine, or L-Cystine.

For more information about the glutathione and glutamate issues for people with ME/CFS I'd highly recommend Marco's series of articles about the neuroinflammatory model for ME/CFS:
    http://www.cortjohnson.org/authors/marco/

I don't believe that the amount of people who react badly to NAC is very high. In fact I think it's quite low. Anyone here can confirm this simply by just going to iherb.com or swansonvitamins.com or vitacost.com and reading the customer reviews. It's true that the people in this community are more likely to react badly to supplements, but that's the case with ALL supplements. We shouldn't exclude supplements just because a small percentage of people react badly to them.

@aquariusgirl
    Rich cautioned people with suspected mercury issues from taking NAC, L-cysteine, and l-cystine, but thought it might help others with glutamate-induced excitoxicity
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...excitotoxicity-on-methylation-protocol.18721/

See more popular forum discussions.