• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does methylB12 or adenoB12 make one feel like taking a nap?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I just started Freddd's B12 protocol and I'm taking 1mg mB12 and 1mg aB12 sublingually, along with a lot of other vitamins that I've been taking for months. I notice that I want to lie down and nap about two hours after I take the B12s. This is not like me. Usually I don't feel sleepy until late at night.

Has anyone else ever had this happen when staring the B12?

Is it low potassium?

Or maybe paradoxical folate deficiency? I haven't added methylfolate yet as I wanted to start slowly. My regular Life Extension vitamin that I'm taking says "folate from lemon" so I doubt if there's much folic acid in it.

Is anyone taking either of the B12s in the evening to help them fall asleep?

Thanks for your help. I'm reading all the B12 protocol threads as much as I can.

Lotus97

Usually people get more energy from methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, but I have heard of them making people more tired. It's unlikely you have low potassium if you're not taking methylfolate, but you should have potassium on hand when you do start methylfolate since hypokalemia (low potassium) is common with Freddd's protocol. It's a lot less common with Rich's protocol since he recommends lower doses and fewer methyl donors, but it's still possible so everyone should be aware of that.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thank you both for your responses.

Lotus, I expected mB12 to be energizing, but maybe it's busy making melatonin from serotonin, I can't say for sure what's going on. I have some potassium chloride powder on hand for potassium emergencies and I don't think it did anything.

Jarod, were you falling asleep at odd times during the day, not just night-time?

I might try taking just the adenoB12 in the morning - I think it's making my muscles less painful.

Then I'll take methylB12 in the evening a few hours before bedtime and see how that goes. At the moment I feel very dependent on melatonin to get me to sleep and have for years. It would be nice if methylB12 made the melatonin from serotonin instead of me having to take it.

Jarod

I could get sleepy right in the morning after using the melthyl B-12 with the right blend of co-factors(hard to figure those out exactly). Seemed like I would kind of dose on the couch in and out for hours at a time some days.

Not sure how log it lasted, but it was days or maybe a couple of weeks. However when the sleepiness finally went away, I found myself feeling more balanced, relaxed, and rested in general.

My sleep improved to the point where no melatonin was needed when doing that.

Kind of like riding a wave, when I got something that is working I try to keep doing it without changing anything.

Sounds like you might be on to something.

Red04

My wifes recovery was very slow to the point she didn't really notice the changes dramatically. I would say she was "sleepy" in the beginning. Then, everything slowly normalized to a healthy persons sleep schedule. She still requires probably an hour more sleep than an average person per night and occasional naps on weekends. But, not like before where it was 14 hours of sleep with a nice 3 hour nap mid day to hold her over until she could sleep again.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Jarod, your experience sounds like mine. Even though I may not sleep, I feel like I need to lie down. When I get up I feel somewhat refreshed and calmer. It turns out both forms of B12 are making me sleepy, although it seems the methylB12 is the stronger of the two in that regard.

Red, feeling "sleepy" is a good word to describe it. Not fatigued, not the sensation you'd have after exercising, but kind of like, "I don't want to watch TV, I don't want to be on the Internet, I just want to put my head down now."