• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does methylation protocol make you more spacey at first?

ebethc

I'm not sure if this is about the methylation protocol (l-mthf & m-b12), but I feel MORE spacey then before... Also, I started taking NAC again because it (and Quercetin and ALA) are the only things that really give my immune system a good boost... I don't think it's the sulfur, though. I have more of an ammonia prob (CBS/BHMT).

Any suggestions?

thanks

Critterina

Just a couple of thoughts:

NAC can be a culprit for a lot of bizarre symptoms for me, because I'm histamine intolerant. You may try doing without it for a few days.

ALA (alpha lipoic acid) in higher doses (more than 100-200 mg) has been reported here to cause some problems. The people who report, and some non-per reviewed writings, attribute the problems to the ALA mobilizing toxic levels of mercury that cross into the brain and associate it with amalgam fillings. If there is scientific evidence, I'm just not aware of it.

I have amalgam fillings and can take ALA 250 mg without issue (bought it by accident, on sale, meant to get my usual 100s). But that means nothing about you. I'm the canary in the coal mine on some things, just probably not that.