• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does methylating better improve the bodies ability to detox?

Vegas

Good question

Vegas, thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I'm afraid though I am still a bit confused. If I understood you correctly you are saying that you believe your body started getting rid of mercury (am I right in understanding that when you refer to a 'mercury dump' you mean your body excreting mercury?) a few days after having your fillings removed? My confusion is how does having the amalgam fillings removed trigger your body excreting mercury? Many thAnks for your time

I think it in part relates to the fact that the continuous source of exposure, in this case primarily through inhalation of vapors, has been removed. It is likely that this exposure contributed an enzymatic interference with normal excretion of mercury. I think it may be analogous to what happens with the methylation supps--you free up a bottleneck, in this case through amalgam removal. This may allow for greater efficiency of operation from those enzymes that are absolutely essential for mercury detoxification.

I certainly don't understand all the biochemistry behind this, but when my improvement on meth supplements stalled, I started paying more attention to Hg because of Rich's recurrent statements about its effects in this part of the biochemistry. The more you read, the more you discover both how likely Hg is involved in chronic illnesses and how destructive it can be. I think you will also start seeing increasing awareness of just how toxic this substance can be in infinitesimal quantities as the recent literature is heavily leaning towards this.

Part of the problem is just how tricky it can be, not only in its crazy derangement of minerals that complicates clinical assessments, but also because it produces seemingly contradictory results. For example, urinary excretion and hair levels of mercury is inversely related to toxicity. The most mercury toxic hold on to their mercury. I presume that this is largely related to inhibition of the enzymes needed to complete the excretion. You get so toxic you can't get rid of it.

Another reason for the Hg controversy stems from studies relying on different types of Hg, which have very different toxicities and half lives, or relying on data from acute versus chronic exposures--which have very different features. Sorry, I'm getting off on a tangent.

Cutler talks about this concept (honestly, I don't know precisely what term he uses as I haven't read his book), although he says it typically occurs 6 months or so after amalgam removal. He, however, is not the only one who discovered this as other researchers have substantiated this finding--that mercury excretion slowly tapers after removal at which point there is a large release of mercury from the tissues and organs over a period of time.

Again, perhaps all the prep work supporting these enzymes and the related methylation pathways and gut modification efforts paved the way for rapid excretion or perhaps it reflects an acute exposure post-removal, I really don't know for sure, but I'm heavily leaning toward the former explanation.

bm=bowel movement...aren't you glad you asked!

aquariusgirl

boyd haley thinks that a certain APOE SNP impairs mercury detoxification... I kinda wondered about getting that snp run...if I could....but I never got around to it.
Otherwise, it seems that most tests for mercury poisoning or whatever u wnat to call it are kind of unreliable.