Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does low sex hormones raise Cortisol?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by dominover, Nov 29, 2015.

1. dominover

dominover

Would anyone know if low testosterone can be the cause of high Cortisol?
    I always thought it was the other way around (and it could be as well) but I'm specifically interested in whether low T can be the cause of high Cortisol? I've read in a book on Adrenal fatigue that this can be the case but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

Can't tell you the cause, but they usually have an inverse relationship. When one is high, the other is low.

dominover likes this.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I have almost no sex hormones and very low cortisol. Even when it's peaking it's still below what it should be.

Battery Muncher and dominover like this.
  4. dominover

dominover

That still indicates there could be a link. If your sex hormones dropped and cortisol raised in response it would stay up until your adrenals were too fatigued to pump out more cortisol and thus would explain your low cortisol condition. I thought there may be a scientific link here?

5. dominover

dominover

Hmm, agreed on that. But which is the cause and which is the effect? Low T high C as a result or the other way around, or both?

6. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

I think I have low both. I guess T dropped first, though

7. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    Imo they're not in a one-on-one cause-relationship but high T (produced in the adrenals) will rob the adrenals of the stuff they need to build Cortisol. And vice versa: high Cortisol doesn't leave much building blocks to make Testosteron with, hence low T.

I'd suspect problems higher up in the Hormonal Arcade, where predecessors for both should be made. Cholesterol, Pregnenolone, Progesteron.

See more popular forum discussions.