Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does IVIG decrease mast cell reactions?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by ebethc, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

particulate matter pollution is a big trigger for me, and winter time in California (and other places) brings high PM.

Does IVIG help lower inflammation, and does it help lower inflammation brought on by mast cell reactions?

Nickster likes this.
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Yes, and yes! https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15455-w

ebethc likes this.
  3. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    It may have helped those mice, but it flared my MCAS, so I have to take steroids, antihistamines, and a LOT of curcumin, boswellia, and B5 to tolerate it for about 5-7 days around IVIG treatment.

Perhaps, over the long haul, it may help, though. Gingergrrl certainly seems to have had her MCAS improve with it.

bspg and ebethc like this.
  4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Me too.

I also think a lot depends on the formula, the amount, and the infusion speed and the individual person. I think it's normal that the first infusions would be more difficult, though, it's certainly possible to develop sensitivities later too. It is a foreign blood product, after all.

Anecdotally, though, there is a lot of evidence for benefit in those that have been lucky enough to try it.

bspg likes this.
  5. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    I think it is helping me, but was surprised by the side effects at first. They're manageable now and I'm hoping for the best.

bspg likes this.
  6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

If you suppress excess histamine (via quercetin or rutin, etc) then what effect (if any) does this have on stomach acid?

7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    IVIG (Gamunex) put my MCAS into remission 1.5 years ago and it has never returned. It pre-dates me doing Rituximab by approx one year and the remission was from the IVIG. I have had additional (non MCAS) improvements after Rituximab, but the remission of MCAS was from the IVIG, as my MCAS doctor predicted but I did not believe until it occurred.

I have had a few days of not taking any MCAS meds with zero reactions (although on 99% of the days, I take one set of MCAS meds). The true test will be what happens when I stop IVIG or if I were to completely stop the MCAS meds. But the MCAS meds alone were a band-aid vs. the IVIG has some how re-set my immune system away from the allergic reactions and more in the middle. I cannot explain how or why it occurred and wish that I could.

bspg, ebethc, Learner1 and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.