• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does (intermittent) fasting and ketogenic diet have an effect on herpes virus?

Wonkmonk

There are lots of reports about various health benefits of (intermittent) fasting and a ketogenic diet, but I searched a lot and couldn't find anything on the effect on herpes viruses, esp. HSV-1 and EBV (my suspects).

Does fasting/keto also starve the virus and help with controlling a possible chronic infection, or does the stress induced by fasting/keto help the virus reactivate?

Runner5

When I broke out in the Keto rash I was surprised to find out it wasn't a reaction to food (or lack thereof since I was fasting) it was my bodies immune system going off the rails and unable to fight bacteria on my skin. Additionally, little cuts weren't healing and I would get burned easy while cooking and injured really easily. I was super spooked. I had to call my doctor and see if he could fit me in to find out what to do about the rash (unbelievable itching). But the Keto community told me, "oh your immune system is dying off and will reboot! You'll have a new and improved immune system."

It was frightening how sick I got on Keto. You might check out this...
https://www.thepaleomom.com/adverse-reactions-to-ketogenic-diets-caution-advised/

On Intermittent Fasting (IF) - I did that in combination with Keto.

I had a coach, it had worked for him apparently(?) but it didn't work for me. I gained 10lbs of abdominal fat primarily (the bad fat) and I lost muscle, I lost tone and I felt like total crap. I've lost 4 of the pounds I gained so far.

I don't have the Herpes virus though, I was just trying to lose weight and gain energy but it was a huge fail for me and frankly scary how sick I felt. If I did have a virus I think it would have taken advantage of my weakened immune state.

I was really sold going in though, I like the Michael Mosley BBC documentary on fasting which I thought was fascinating (google that, definitely worth watching if you're interested in IF) and I liked Butter Bob on YouTube (definitely worth watching he does IF and low carb)

In a way it's just down to how your body is going to react and that seems to be personal, for every success story there are crash and burn stories.

Diwi9

Administrator
Fasting is supposed to improve the immune system (check out the ProLon diet...aka fasting mimicking diet, there are a few threads on it). I was prescribed this diet and it caused me to relapse. I have not bounced back. My doctor thought my reaction was strange and stated that many ME/CFS patients improved on it. FWIW - I do best on keto, but I gained about 30 lbs. when I relapsed with ME/CFS in 2016...and had major carb cravings. Keto has helped me lose weight and reduce bloating, which was a major symptom for me. I'll follow this thread to see if anyone has evidence for your question. I've mentioned keto to multiple doctors and none seem impressed/interested, but support me doing it if I report improvements.

Seven7

Seven
I am trying ketogenic ( high fat version). So far ( one month in) I got a face rash not sure if it is the Keto rash since I have done it before Cfs and never had rash.
I do struggle w high herpes hh6v so will let you know! Remember to send me or ask me in a few
Months.