The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does GABA reduce inflammation?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Nielk, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nielk

Nielk

I have been suffering from acute symptoms of inflammation. This happened soon after I have been
    detoxed off of Klonpin three months ago and it has been getting worse as time passes by.

someone told me to look into the fact whether GABA enhancement helps with inflammation and I found this link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235846/

Does anyone know about this?

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    NMDA is said to increase inflammation etc etc and gaba agonists said to have NMDA antagonist properties.
    Also of interest is that other NMDA antagonist are said to reduce benzo tolerance, so there is definately a relation between gaba, NMDA and inflammation.
    google dextromethorphan(cough medicine) and NMDA antagonist, also said to help with pain and studies done with fibro on this too.

cheers!!!

Nielk likes this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Thanks heapsreal. I will look this up.
    Do you have personal experience with dextromethorphan?

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    yes been using it for a few weeks, the first week i stopped all benzo meds(only on lowest dose), although it didnt help me sleep i think it helps with symptoms from not using benzo's and does help with nerve/tingling type pain i get under my skin on neck and shoulders. since adding benzo meds back, i take dextro 1/2 hr before benzo sleep meds, but only using benzo's every second or third night for sleep now. when using benzo's for sleep it seems to help them to work without tolerence for now. prior to using the dextro(DXM) my sleep meds werent working at all, so the week off as well as the dxm i think helped. DXM i think helps with that buzzing type feeling in your head from sleep deprivation. When trying to find info on this, alot of the stuff is from people using it to lower their tolerence to benzo's so they can get high,im not doing this though, plus using really high doses of DXM, im only using 40mg which is the lowest dose i read that helps benzo tolerence. When not using benzos for sleep im using a low dose of seroquel with trazadone or mirtazapine or an antihistamine,occassionally use baclofen.

5. Nielk

Nielk

I found this link showing a connection with GABA as an anti-inflammatory:

Could this be the reason why GcMaf works especially well on intestinal issues?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/asfm-ibp061312.php

6. Nielk

Nielk

I found this link showing a connection with GABA as an anti-inflammatory:

Could this be the reason why GcMaf works especially well on intestinal issues?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/asfm-ibp061312.php

Emootje and heapsreal like this.
  7. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

I'm not sure how effective gaba is at reducing inflammation. You would think that if a gaba deficiency was the cause of inflammation that it would reverse CFS symptoms but clearly it does not.

See more popular forum discussions.