• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Esther Crawley’s latest research really tell us anything about prevalence of pediatric CFS/ME

jimells

I think from Crawleys own perspective it gives a nice platform for her own work on fatigue in kids with a slight emphasis for further study on adverse life events & mood.

Psychs are no more qualified to study "fatigue" than they are to study foot pain from diabetes: they are both sensations resulting from biochemical processes, not "bad behavior" or "thinking the wrong thoughts".

alex3619

These researchers talk about chronic fatique it isn't CFS and ME.

What, you mean this isn't true? :-

ME=CFS=PVFS=CF=mono=herpes infection=viral infection=infection=bacterial infection=Lyme=tick born illnesses=parasites=politicians=cultists=psychobabblers ???

I am shocked I tell you, shocked. How can this be? How can vague and loose word association not be absolute truth!

[Sarcasm/Satire]

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I don't have a problem with publishing such research - I do however have a problem with claiming the results give any sort of reliable estimate of chronic fatigue OR chronic fatigue syndrome. I have an even greater problem with the ridiculous spin in the media...

These are the sorts of studies that you do before you try to get a grant to do a decent study. No one hands out funding if you have no results at all on which to justify a study. (I'm not however suggesting that they have known plans to do a proper study).

halcyon

I don't have a problem with publishing such research
If they had used actual accepted CFS criteria then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, but they didn't.

These are the sorts of studies that you do before you try to get a grant to do a decent study.
If this was why she did it then she is a very dishonest person. If she's interested in studying chronic fatigue then she could have said that and not CFS. Instead what it looks like is that she used dubious criteria to overblow the prevalence of CFS in children in order to increase her odds of receiving funding.