Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) really work or is it a scam?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Apr 16, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Some good points are raised which are relevant to CBT for ME/CFS.

Bob and Valentijn like this.
  2. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SOC, Bob and Valentijn like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

He's got a good point about the CBT approach blaming the symptoms for causing the disease ... depression causes the depressed thoughts, and all indications are that the depressed thoughts aren't causing the depression.

Though he's somewhat wrong in saying it's the only illness treated like that - the same school of practitioners contend that our ME symptoms indirectly cause the disease by making us think we're sick and disabled.

Bob likes this.
  4. place

place Be Strong!

US
    I did somewhat of a cognative training for sleep and it was very effective for the mind racing. It did not improve my sleep but it did allow me to shut off my mind so my body would go to sleep.

5. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    In me, long-term, uncontrollable stress is what causes depression.
    Mostly (pre-ME), it's been fairly straightforward.
    I go nuts with anxiety, run around in circles talking to myself, can't eat, can't sleep, then wallop.
    Full-blown clinical depression with full-blown anhedonia, when the negative feedback loop for ACTH breaks and turns into a feed-forward loop.

I really can't see cbt fixing that.:p It's organic.

Changing the situation to one where I am no longer subject to uncontrollable stress fixes it.

Or SSRIs, eventually.

My "negative thoughts" are all about reality.

See more popular forum discussions.