May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does coffee lower mortality?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    An addition to the plethora of threads about whether coffee is good or bad:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    CantThink and TiredSam like this.
  2. CantThink

CantThink Senior Member

England, UK
    I had two big mugs of it this morning ;):D

3. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    Not if you have the GG genotype for slow metabolizer like me - it only increases chances of heart attack, murder sprees and psychosis :rofl:

Now seriously, if you have that genetic trait drinking coffee will undoubtely make you die quicker, by different means. Fortunately we feel too awful on caffeine to stay on it consistently.

Apparently coffee IS healthy for quick metabolizers, it is not the first time I read about it.

justy likes this.
  4. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Caffeine makes me feel hideous!

Beyond likes this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I always find coffee studies unsatisfying because they don't really quantify the amount of coffee brewed in a cup. I also wonder when they say a cup do they mean literally 8 oz or whatever the comparable metric measurement is, or do they mean any size cup or mug?

I make one really strong cup of coffee a day, which would not compare to the amount in a cup of weak office coffee.

On the other hand, even if these studies are inexact, I'm always tickled to see positive conclusions about coffee drinking. I love my coffee, and you'd have to pry it from my cold stiff fingers!

Scarecrow likes this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I used to have no problems at all with coffee - it didn't keep me awake, for example, but it seems to make me a bit jittery now if I have more than 1 mug. I drink instant, with caffeine, and fairly strong. Shame, as I really like it!

CantThink likes this.
  7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    The study didn't look at caffeine consumption, it looked at coffee consumption. Coffee has got all kinds of chemicals in it, not just caffeine. Also, the amount of caffeine is dependent on how long the grounds contact the hot water, so an espresso (brewed quickly) has less caffeine than a slower method.

8. duncan

duncan Senior Member

"coffee consumption more than five cups per day was not associated with risk of mortality."

Every nuanced aspect of every thing we do or think... every second of every day for as long as we live... is associated with risk of mortality,

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Or it reflects research practices where the data is subgrouped until an affirmative result is found :p

They didn't just break it down by arbitrary amounts of coffee ... they also had to subgroup based on smoking status in what sounds like a very post-hoc analysis.

duncan likes this.
  10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    No, it's because smoking is known to correlate with mortality, and they wanted to eliminate confounders. I thought it was a nicely done study, possibly because I drink three cups of coffee per day.

MeSci likes this.
  11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    So it may increase the general death-rate! :eek:

Beyond likes this.
  12. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    Indeedydoody! :D

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.