1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does CBT or GET Therapy Reduce Disability in CFS? Objective Measures Are Necessary (Kewley, 2013)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Congratulations to Andrew Kewley on the publication of this paper (note: I had to shorten the title to get it to fit into the title of this thread)

WillowJ, Sparrowhawk, Sasha and 7 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Did some sanity just slip into the literature on CBT and CFS? This feels so wrong.
    SOC, wdb, alex3619 and 3 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Well done, Andrew.

:thumbsup:

(Don't worry, Esther, I'm sure the usual shabby insanity will shortly be resumed.)
    WillowJ, Marco, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    In the wake of PACE I wrote a response to the Lancet (not published - shucks) that suggested that the PACE trial was not 'well-anchored'.

There's an established literature on the concept.

In short in most clinical (physiological) interventions you probably have a one or more objective measures (therapy given and physiological correlates) but its then desirable to have subjective responses from patients (reduced symptoms, overall QOL) to determine if physiological measures correlate with subjective well being.

As you are all painfully aware PACE starts and ends with subjective responses, which the therapy aims to manipulate, with no objective data to 'anchor' these data.

Impossible to infer anything from PACE.
    Sean, wdb, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The unpublished letter is here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-not-accepted-by-the-lancet.9761/#post-178595 in case anyone is interested.
    Bob likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    excellent!

See more popular forum discussions.