1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does brain fog reduce the spiritual sense?

Discussion in 'Spirituality and ME/CFS' started by Hip, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Myerhoff's _Peyote Hunt_ is a great introduction to shamanic tradional use of external inputs to access the spiritual. Given how hard that is on the body it's not something I'd counsel with CFIDS/ME. Ayahuasca (sp?) is about the same, AFAIK, quite hard on the system. If you have fungal or mold issues, magic mushrooms would also be right out.

If you could clone yourself multiple times, then you could try various substances (drugs, food, vitamins) or meditative, electrical, musical inputs and see if they restored the access to that spiritual sense in a controlled study where N would still = 1. My surmise, though, is that rather than battering through whatever the existing barrier is, the better path is to heal the body, and the spiritual capacity ought to be restored at the same time.

Pick your descriptive explanation for this loss: viruses impinge on some portion of the brain or nervous system; vibrational or subtle body out of synch and thus out of phase with the spiritual vibes; or merely having such an energy deficit that one just can't muster more than basic survival; or my favorite answer: D) All of the Above.

Purely academic, but I have read it asserted here that the POTS/OI is one of the last things to leave you once recovering or in remission. So it makes me wonder where on that sequence of healing the spiritual capacity might pop back into the picture.

I can't recall, did you do the gene testing and have you tried the methylation approach?
    GracieJ likes this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Sparrowhawk
    Well the full cure for ME/CFS remains elusive for most people, but the possibility of ameliorating specific symptoms tends to be more feasible. If I can find anything that helps bring at least some of my spiritual energies back, I'd be very pleased.

Entheogens: I have a lot of trepidation when it comes to entheogens, and even more so now that my mind is weak with ME/CFS. Though their effects have always interested me.

This account of three ayahuasca trips that an individual with ME/CFS took is fascinating: on each of the three occasions, he found every single symptom of his ME/CFS completely disappeared for the few hours of the ayahuasca trip. This experience suggests that ME/CFS is largely underpinned by aberrant brain chemistry rather than any major physical changes to the brain, since the effects that ayahuasca had on this patient's neurochemistry apparently cured his ME/CFS for a short period.

One thing that I might try is low dose psilocybin mushrooms — at a dose just below the threshold for a psychdelic trip. One interesting thing about psilocybin is that this substance has been shown to repair the brain damage caused by trauma, and in this way to treat PTSD.
    Mr. Cat and Sparrowhawk like this.
  3. Wifi123

Wifi123 Senior Member

Yes Hip, brain fog does reduce your spiritual wisdom and discernment because of memory loss and forgetfulness and as you said that a cure for ME/CFS will always be elusive.

For a long time now, say 40 years, most sufferers of undiagnosable syndromes have been heading in the wrong direction, running around in circles on the medical merry-go-round trying to find that elusive causation factor, and having the wool pulled over their eyes from a cover-up.

US DIA documents of 1972 and 1976 provides much information of the cover-up of what happens to people exposed to microwave radiation below thermal levels, and it’s recorded that they experience neurological, cardiovascular and haemodynamic disturbances and exhibit a variety of neurasthenic disorders. It is also recorded that they suffer symptoms of headaches, fatigue, dizziness, irritability, agitation, tension, drowsiness, sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, forgetfulness, and lack of concentration, which are the very same disturbances that was reported in 1998 of wireless technology users: http://www.greenarmour.com.au/proof.php

These symptoms above are no different to CFS/ME/FMS of the 21st Century.

In 1972 they stated that low frequency electromagnetic fields have been found to generate sonic and ultrasonic oscillations in living organisms that produce elastic deformations in the organism. If the frequency of the outside field corresponds to the oscillation frequency of the cells, the latter deteriorate.

The UCLA Brain information Service in Los Angeles compiled an extensive bibliographic list on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields that affects the central nervous system, which in turns produce all the same symptoms of CFS, ME, and FMS.

The DIA documents also said that any enforcement of stringent exposure standards would be unfavourable on the electronic technology industry output and military functions, which would also make the commercial exploitation of some products unattractive because of increased costs imposed by the need for additional safeguards.

Wow, what a cover-up that is possibly the causation factor of most CFS, ME, and FMS sufferers.

REF:

ST-CS-01-169-72 July 1972

DST-1810S-076-76 March 1976

DST-1810S-074-76 March 1976

The causation factor of most undiagnosable syndromes has been known for a long time.
  4. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I have heard of permanent remission from DMT. Would love to try it.
    Hip likes this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Just did a bit of Googling after you mentioned ME/CFS remissions from DMT (dimethyltryptamine), and found this account of someone who had ME/CFS for 6 years, but says he was cured after just one dose of DMT (but he only posted follow up comments for around a month). Could DMT have precipitated viral clearance in his body?

DMT seems to interact with a number of receptors: eight types of serotonin receptor, as well as the dopamine D1 receptor, the alpha 1 and 2 adrenergic receptors, the sigma-1 receptor, and others. Ref: here. I found this interesting paper, which said that higher peripheral serotonin levels are linked to better outcomes from antiviral treatment for hepatitis C virus. Might the activation of serotonin receptors by DMT have some kind of antiviral effect?

Note that DMT is the main psychedelic ingredient in ayahuasca, though ayahuasca also contains potent MAO inhibitors.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Roger that!

Thanks for all those experiences you have related. I agree that it is not just dependent on what mind you bring, but also the state of health (perhaps neurochemically/endocrine-wise) as to whether the body can sustain a spiritual experience.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Mr. Cat
    Very nice post, Mr. Cat.
    The gentle and subtle approaches to consciousness expanding — like breathwork — are probably more appropriate for ME/CFS patients. I keep meaning to restart doing chi gong, as this is very gentle and low energy, and chi gong / tai chi have been shown to have beneficial effects on the autonomic nervous system, which should be particularly useful in ME/CFS.
    Wayne likes this.
  8. Mr. Cat

Mr. Cat Senior Member

Nothern California
    Yes. I think that sometimes the body may not be healthy enough to sustain a spiritual experience. For researchers studying the physiological basis of spiritual experience (I assume there are some), it might be interesting to look at people experiencing brain fog. I think the "channels" - whether they are defined biochemically or energetically - that are blocked by brain fog may be the same ones through which many, if not all, types of spiritual experience flow.
  9. Arise

Arise

Yes brain fog absolutely reduces brain fog. At times when the brain fog gets really bad you can lose all feelings both good and bad (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...as-a-me-symptom-anyone-else-who-has-it.14357/). It is a bit like when you get a flu or cold and you cannot taste or smell things as you normally would it is the same with brain fog. Your favorite music can become "noise" A book can become a collection of individual words. Feelings of empathy and compassion dwindle.

So as you can see suffering is not always beneficial for spiritual growth. Although from a philosophical point you could say that brain fog makes you live in the moment and appreciate everything a lot more.
    Lou and Wayne like this.
  10. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Gotta love your first sentence, makes at least half your point:). Completely reminds me of myself. Beyond that, you make a lot of good observations. Thanks.
    Arise, Bob, Sparrowhawk and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon

OMG, I had to read that first sentence THREE times before I could understand your point! o_O:confused::rolleyes::)
    Lou and Bob like this.
  12. Arise

Arise

Lol. :oops: At least it gets the point across.
    Bob and Wayne like this.

See more popular forum discussions.