1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does anyone NOT have flu-like malaise?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Hope123, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Flu-like symptoms without the presence of fever has been my main symptom - luckily now it's mainly the day after exercise and lasts for 1-3 days depending on how vigorous I exerted and if I keep myself from pushing and am lucky I can avoid it completely. However it also still happens without working out and that is when I don't get decent restorative sleep for some time. I attribute this to heightened pro-inflammatory cytokine activity in reaction to a combo of pathogens and other stressors and in protection against mitochondrial depletion.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I never had flu symptoms for the first 10yrs but now the in last 10 years I experience viral symptoms 80% of the time. I used to experience worse symptoms after mild/moderate aerobic exercise but since taking l-acetyl-carnitine and lipoic acid I have improved. I stay within my boundaries though and never go over that fine line.
  3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Even when someone has the flu, they would have some time where they felt okay. So I definitely have it. It varies from barely there to bad.

I have read people saying they did not have the flu feeling. Maybe it's not part of CFIDS, it's just so common that if you have CFIDS you will get a latent infection like EBV or one HHV to make you have the chronic flu feeling.
  4. Lacey

Lacey

Possibly the virus didn't want you, same as World War Z's zombie virus wouldn't infect a body that already had disease :snigger:
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    At the moment I have a flu type virus. The only difference is that I have a runny nose and a sore throat and a cough. Ic I didn't have those symptoms I would say im having a crash. My head feels just as bad as a Servier cfs relapse where its pounding all the time.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I don't have fluish symptoms, though I did years ago.

Sushi
  7. surethom

surethom

I have mild flu like symptoms for the last 5 months almost constant, I have chills & body feels hot to touch & clammy but I feel cold (but thermometer says only a very slight temp increase sometimes). I have skin flushing/rash over most of my body & face. Its very unpleasant & now feel so bad I have been of work for 3 weeks so far.

After 5 blood tests, I have Herpes type 2 4 years ago, EBV & recent CMV infection, I feel awful, & still no diagnoses from the Dr.

Not sure if it is herpes 2 virus that is causing the flu-like shivering symptoms or a combination of the 3 viruses?? I felt like this when i caught Herpes 2 what an awful 2 weeks but this is 5 months.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    The flu-like patten I have are sinus pressure, overall achy feeling, difficulty concentrating, feeling spaced out, fatigue, bloodshot eyes, feverish feeling, and occasional mild sore throat. I also have very little endurance for activity or thinking, but it is much much worse than I ever experienced it with the flu. I also get sneezing fits but it is not the same as cold or flu. It feels like it's a result of sinus irritation, and using saline spray seems to help. I actually think my flu-like pattern is a combination of flu-like and veisalgia-like. Veisalgia is the medical term for hangover.

Other symptoms includes shattered sleep, a feeling like I'm going to pass out or lose balance, temperature sensitivity, light sensitivity, sensitivity to fabric softener, orthostatic intolerance, post exertion symptom exacerbation, and having to get up during the night to urinate. I also get sneezing fits but it is not the same as cold or flu. It feels like a result of sinus irritation that's usually on the left side. Using saline spray seems to help. And sometimes I walk oddly with very short steps and legs feeling stiff.

Since getting sick I stopped having colds as I used to know them. I no longer get those colds that have coughing, sneezing, severe (as opposed to mild) sort throat. Instead, it seems like sometimes my flu-like cluster gets worse.

Less than three years after becoming ill I got prostate cancer and tongue cancer. That was at age 60. My family is prone to cancer, but I'm the only one who got it before 90 years of age. I believe my ME opened the door to cancer.

See more popular forum discussions.