The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does anyone know what "Immunoreactive Ceruloplasmin" is?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by aaron_c, Mar 12, 2016.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Hi Yall,

For perhaps the first time ever, the internet has failed me: I cannot seem to find a definition of "immunoreactive ceruloplasmin" anywhere. Possibly we don't actually know what it is for? This is the article in which I first saw it mentioned. I find elsewhere that it may not contain copper. Is it the same as apoceruloplasmin? Does it have a physiological role that we know of?

I rarely ask for help like this, but after three pages of google searches with no definition I think it is time to see if any of the smart people over here already know!

Thank you.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Generally speaking 'Immunoreactive X' just means X as measured in an immunoassay. It is a rigorous technical way of pointing out that when you say you measured ceruloplasmin you did it by immunoassay and so you cannot guarantee anything about the function of the ceruloplasmin, just that it showed up in your test.

JaimeS, Valentijn and aaron_c like this.
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Try using Google Scholar to get research articles that might give some leads.

4. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    I read the paragraph where ceruloplasmin is mentioned in the article you cited. It is as @Jonathan Edwards suggests. They distinguish between enzymatic and immunoreactive ceruloplasmin. The former is ceruloplasmin measured by an enzymatic assay (ie a test of function) the latter as measured in a immunoassay, which says nothing about function.

It is a review article summarising the studies of others so they are indicating that different types of assay techniques were used.

I don't think it means anything in the broader context of ceruloplasmin, its just being scrupulous in terms of technical detail.

JaimeS, Valentijn and aaron_c like this.
  5. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Thank you both for responding! This is an important part of what I love about phoenixrising.

JaimeS likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.