• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know of a GOOD pulmonologist in California?

Gingergrrl

I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knows of a GOOD pulmonologist in California? Ideally in Los Angeles but am willing to travel as long as reachable by car. I saw an excellent neurologist to assess my autonomic issues last week which led to 100% confirmation of POTS in addition to my prior 100% confirmation of MCAS.

This doc was concerned by my level of shortness of breath, restrictive pulmonary functioning on four failed PFT's, and my abnormal prior V/Q scan. He felt that it was crucial for me to see a good, solid pulmonologist as soon as possible who can review all my prior tests. He attempted to make a referral while I was up north but it fell through (not at all his fault.) It could still happen and if it did, I would gladly go back but the doc would still be six hours north of me.

I would love to find a pulmonologist in my area (LA) and so far this has been an impossible task. I have seen a total of two in my life- the first was in the hospital last year and he did not believe that MCAS was a "real" illness and spent a grand total of five min with me. He ordered a PFT which I failed but never even came back to tell me so I learned this on my own when I got my med records.

Then I found someone in my city but he had literally never heard of POTS or MCAS and right off the bat, did not understand what I was dealing with. He ran a test on me that I requested but I later learned that the technician had never done this test before and it was done incorrectly. It's long story and I'll spare the boring details but I showed it to my cardiologist who confirmed it was done incorrectly and the results were invalid and of no use. But prior to that, when the pulmonary doc did not know how to interpret the results, he became angry with me and yelled at me and my husband and offered no follow-up except a large bill.

I know there must be a decent pulmonologist somewhere within my city or state but have had no luck finding them. If anyone knows of one or how I can find one, I would really appreciate the information.

Thank you in advance!

Gingergrrl

My niece lives in LA and is married to a doctor. He's an emergency room doctor but may be able to recommend a pulmonogist. I'll email my niece tonight.

Good luck!

Thanks, @barb56, and I am in the process of gathering names and doing more research and would love the referral if you have one. Feel free to send via PM if you prefer not to post it.