• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know a healthy vacation spa/getaway for CFS?

Looking for a vacation where I can rest, eat healthy, maybe do some yoga, juicing, salt pool, beach, organic food... Anyone know of a place like this, or where to look for one (or even where to post this question - new here)?
Don't want to come back sicker than when I left and no energy for sight-seeing anyway. :)

that sounds heavenly! Why not do some of these things for yourself at home, or maybe you are already. Best of luck.

Maybe any organic spa would work? roxie60, I do get the part about home being pretty confining when you're too ill to go out, when I need to stay home for a long time I make my bedroom a sanctuary and that has helped me deal with it, that's all I meant. I am having a harder time right now with not being able to travel at the moment, hopefully that will get better (and my attitude about it will also improve). Also, one of the things I have learned from being ill is to have to take excellent care of myself, which I never did enough before. So that's what I got out of the question, totally my own issue :).

roxie60

Good point Kathy, I need to learn how to make a room in my home a sanctuary, that I think would be a good use of energy but first I have to get it orderly. I cant stand how messy it gets so quick on days I have little energy.

yes, getting organized is the biggest challenge, isn't it? I have lots to work on in that area myself. But at least my bedroom is okay!

taniaaust1

Try just doing an internet search using the words " health retreat " . (unless they are called something else in whatever country you are in... those places are called health retreats here in Australia where I are.

that sounds heavenly! Why not do some of these things for yourself at home, or maybe you are already. Best of luck.

Thanks Kathy. Yeah, it sounds heavenly to me too! ;^) I eat really well (most of the time) and am careful about all sorts of things at home. But last time I went on vaca. I was on this like... hotel campus - where the water in the room was $7/bottle and if you wanted anything w/out wheat, sugar, chemicals/processed, you had to drag yourself to the car a mile away and drive out of the resort and try and find a place w/health food in a strange town. Then there was no place to keep anything fresh anyway. It was too exhausting. What a thing to complain about, right?! At least I got out, but I felt worse when I came back. I've never been to a place like I'm looking for but I imagine they must exist.

home can seem like a prison if you are there day in and day out. I can understand the desire to go somewhere else that will aid in healing and resting.

Yes, I feel claustraphobic in my apt. more and more. Maybe it's the size, isolation, and amount of time I'm there alone feeling sick. It does feel like a prison. All I need is to move into a glass house.... on my own private beach (with a personal chef and maid). ;)

Try just doing an internet search using the words " health retreat " . (unless they are called something else in whatever country you are in... those places are called health retreats here in Australia where I are.

Wow, thanks taniaaust1. Right... "health retreat." I just googled it and got a ton of stuff. I couldn't think of the right words :rolleyes: and I've been trying to search for months! :thumbsup:

Misfit Toy

Sedona, AZ. That's where many go and it's absolutely peaceful, breathtaking and relaxing. Spas are out there.

taniaaust1

Wow, thanks taniaaust1. Right... "health retreat." I just googled it and got a ton of stuff. I couldn't think of the right words :rolleyes: and I've been trying to search for months! :thumbsup:

Yeah knowing what words to use in a search helps.

If you do go on one.. I'd love to hear about it :) (probably a few of us would love to hear about it). Ive always wanted to do something like that.

Yeah knowing what words to use in a search helps.

If you do go on one.. I'd love to hear about it :) (probably a few of us would love to hear about it). Ive always wanted to do something like that.

Yes, will definitely post how it is if I'm lucky enough to go. It won't be until the end of Aug. I've never been/always wanted to go myself.

Hope123

I have not tried it but a relatively cheap option might be a monastic retreat. There are a number throughout the US and you do not need to be of that religion (Christian and Buddhist ones I've heard of) to participate nor are the retreat staff out to evangelize. (Check before you go though.) Some are in beautiful natural areas, serve simple vegetarian meals (some have gardens), offer optional spiritual counseling/ yoga/ meditation (mostly the non-Christian ones) and either are low-cost or donation based. Most sound very low-key. Some do have rules -- usually stuff like no smoking, curfews, don't disturb certain monks in their daily routines, etc.

Here are two examples I know about, both on or near beaches:

http://www.contemplation.com/retreats/accommodations-and-rates.html

http://www.sfzc.org/ggf/display.asp?catid=3,162 [Green Gulch supplies one of the best veggie restaurants in the US]

A google might find similar sites closer to where you are.

Hope123

Here's a list of some Benedictine retreats in the US. The Benedictine monks have existed for centuries and it is part of their tradition/ purpose to host travelers. Back in college, as part of medieval history, I read St. Benedict's Rule.

http://www.osb.org/retreats/