• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Anyone Have Math-Only Brain Fog?

My son has always found Maths most energy draining of the (very few) subjects he is studying (home tutored). I asked for his Maths tuition slot to always be shorter than his other slots to take this into account.
Before he was well enough to have home tutors I used MyMaths with him for tiny amounts (literally a few minutes).

One immediate physical sign I get that he is up to his max is that his left eye goes distinctly bloodshot. I don't know if anyone else has had this effect?? He also used to get it with gaming (another intense/focused activity) although he no longer games. Ditched it as just not a good use of precious energy. Its always the left eye not the right.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This forum is starting to give me the creeps, i have always had math problem, simple addition/subtraction/division i can do but beyond that hell no. These days even this simple stuff is tricky :cry:

This is a painful subject for me. :) Pre-ME I used to be a maths teacher to teenagers. They often challenged me to beat their calculators, which I did. Now I can't add two simple numbers together reliably.

At times, it has been so severe, that I cannot comprehend the value of coins. For example, when paying for a few items in a shop (I was served by one of my ex-pupils) and I had to hand over something like 67 pence............I just couldn't work it out. The coins had no meaning to me. To cover my embarrassment, I thrust my purse in her hand on a pretext and asked her to remove the correct amount.

For similar reasons, I can no longer play scrabble. Pre-ME I was second in a championship, but now find not only can I not spell, but I cannot total the score. It is so humiliating, I no longer play.
Whoa-- yeah, when I was first realizing I was sick, I was playing scrabble with my grandmother and completely forgot how to count.