• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone get side affects when taking Folate 800 mcg (as metafolin)

allyb

I have recently started the B12 protocol and when i try and introduce Folate (half- 400mcg) i feel drained, ache as if i have the flu and also feel exhausted. I don't know if this is a normal side affect or whether my potassium levels are low. I have started on 198mg of potassium each day, i eat approx 5 bananas a day and also have electrolyte drinks daily which also include potassium. I only seem to get these side affects when i have taken the Folate with the rest of the supplements, so i have tried to avoid the Folate although i know it is crucial to the protocol. If anyone has had a similar experience or could give any advice i would be extremely grateful.
kind regards
allyb

arx

I experienced the same symptoms many times with Deplin, and infered that it was because of low potassium. I did however, experience a bad headache after a month of taking one 7.5mg Deplin daily.Now I take 1/8th of the same tablet and things seem smoother on the metafolin front.

I have those issues. I also feel dizzy. Metafolin seems to make my lymph nodes swell up. Don't seem to have that issue with mB12.

allyb

Thank you for your responses,
place,
I take over 2500 potassium. Your daily dose should be 4800.
Since your post I have been calculating my daily intake of potassium (in light of what of what has been posted recently on the adverse effects of large doses of potassium supplements) and making a conscious effort to increase my levels naturally. Predictably, I have learned along the way. I was surprised to find that I naturally gravitate to potassium rich foods. I knew that I often craved bananas which are 5oomg (med) but there are so many potassium rich foods. As coconut water is 515mg,(80z) people rightly comment on the expense but as I cannot indulge in a nice glass of wine, any alcohol, coffee or caffeine drinks etc, ect, :sleep: (you all know the script) This is now my treat and my medicine. However, tomato juice is much cheaper but just as high at 535 per cup and prune juice even higher!! at 707mg (- the cost of laxatives ;))papaya is a massive 707 salmon 319 (30z) cottage cheese 109mg, strawberry (anti-inflammatory) 276mg sweet potato 508mg melon, egg , the list is endless and I can reach the 4800 RDA

caledona,
I took your advice and stopped and now I am more practiced in the natural potassium regime I intend to start small, today :cautious:

arx,
I have only just caught up and realised that Deplin is the same a metafolin but I am a little confused, is Deplin a brand name? and is it the same strength mg for mg?

loring
I have those issues. I also feel dizzy. Metafolin seems to make my lymph nodes swell up. Don't seem to have that issue with mB12.

Whilst I haven't noticed my lymph nodes swelling, I couldn't see myself surviving without the Perrins lymph drain massage as I seem to suffered from terrible toxin build up.

kind regards
allyb

arx

allyb
Yes, it is a brand. It is l-methylfolate, which is sold under the brand names Metafolin and Deplin. I'm sorry but I can't compare the strengths as I only have access to Deplin.

jeffrez

Hi allyb, I get those same symptoms from an extremely small dose, like probably around 5-10mcg, as well as mind crushing depression. Guess I'll have to take a crumb of a crumb? Guessing the folate is increasing 5-HT and/or noradrenaline metabolism and causing more fatigue, lower BP, aches & pains, etc.

Potassium also drops my BP and causes severe hypoglycemic attacks, so I don't supplement that. I eat potatoes and raisins fairly regularly, so I think I'm getting enough K for now.

edit: I have Solgar metafolin, btw. 800mcg tablets: http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Folate-800-mcg-as-Metafolin-Tablets.htm

Googsta

Doing Well
I started Metafolin last week & have the same symptoms.
I am just taking it every other day for now, usually if I know I can take it easy the following day.
Crumbs are definately the way to go!

I hope you find a solution that works for you ;)

Hi guys I am new to this website. I totally believe methylation is key to my healing from CFS/ fibro. Two years ago I took 800mcg folic acid and felt AMAZING for two weeks. I slept better. My back pain went away. Then all of a sudden I started to get a migraine every time I took the folic acid. Even when I halved the dose and took it a month later, I still got a migraine. Now two years later, I still can't tolerate even a quarter of a tablet of metafolin. What is going on? I also get an immediate migraine from B12...even if I nibble off the slightest bit of a tiny active B12, I get a SPLITTING headache to the point of having to lie in bed in pain for the next 24 hours.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Or what I could do to be able to tolerate folic acid and B12? I know if I could tolerate these vitamins, I would feel much better. For some reason B6 or P5P gives me no problem at all

caledonia

I think the headache thing may be lack of molybdenum. Since we're often deficient in various vitamins and minerals, when you restart methylation, you increase the need for various co-factors. That's when your body sort of hits the wall, because you were borderline deficient, and now you've increased the demand.

jeffrez

Another symptom I'm noticing when I take 5-MTHF is a greatly reduced heart rate. My BPMs go down into the 40s. Not sure what's causing it, guessing some kind of neurotransmitter effect perhaps? Speculating that whatever is causing the increased depression is also causing the bradycardia. I haven't been able to find much on the cause, only that sometimes folate is associated with bradycardia. Otoh, sometimes folate deficiency is associated, too! Still searching for the answer to these folate/methylation puzzles.

Caledonia,

How would I know if headache thing is related to molybdenum? How could I figure out what vitamins and minerals I am deficient in?

Lauren