1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does anyone else have visual distortions?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Hitension, Feb 28, 2014.

1. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    I found that kind of thing happens if I have an ordinary cigarette. I tried a smoke when I was a teen and seriously it made all the lines on the roof actually move. I couldnt believe the affect that cigarette had on me and that people actually smoke those with no problem (I couldnt walk after it as everything was moving). Obviously I was sensitive to some chemicals before I even had ME.

It can be due to ME if the person has dysautonomia (autonomic dyfunction like most of us do). Its just another way ME dysautonomia can manifest. Most doctors in ME/CFS field arent up with yet to it causing bouts of hypertension as they tend to think only on the hypotension side of things with us...but orthostatic hypertension in ME has actually been long known about eg Dr David Bell wrote on this quite a long time now.

My personal thoughts on it to this date are that it usually appears more in the severe ME people group and appears in those who have had ME for quite a while eg maybe those who have ME for 10 years or more. (I had more stable low BP 80/60 in my first 10 years of ME before it became completely wacked out and all over the place eg recently has been 80/50 (or it may of been 80/40 to 190/138 kind of stuff)

2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    The visual distortion you have, Im very happy to be able to say I havent had that with the ME (not often can I say that).

I get other kinds of visual distortion with this illness eg blurred vision, sight blacking out of me so I cant see anything except pitch black, some of the newer lights have me seeing big green blogs. My eyes apparently shake on rare occassions (witnessed by others) but when that is going on, I dont myself notice.

3. Legendrew

Legendrew Content team

UK
    I get visual disturbances such as blurred vision randomly (usually accompanied by watering eyes) and my eyes are also a lot more sensitive to light than they used to be - with my vision being distorted by bright light from the sun but this usually passes around 5-10 minutes after exposure. I've had the seeing pulse in the eyes thing but normally only after I've done something to increase my heart rate and this passes very quickly. I also get migraines (have done before and now during ME/CFS) although I get them without auras 99% of the time. I think whatever nervous involvement ME/CFS has causes a degree of hypersensitivity which is obvious in the eyes given the visual disturbances it causes.

I do also have a degree of hypertension which has been noted numerous time by my GP although my family all have higher than average blood pressure so I think while ME/CFS may be effecting it I cannot be certain. I'd much rather have slightly high blood pressure than the terrible hypotension many people with ME/CFS suffer.

See more popular forum discussions.