1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does anyone else have severe hip girdle weakness and pain?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by RYO, May 22, 2014.

1. RYO

RYO

North Carolina
    2 years ago I experienced severe flu like illness. During acute illness, my legs ached and felt cold. Within 1 week, I went from running 10-15 miles per week to not being able to stand long enough to take a shower. Now I can walk for short distances but every night I pound on my legs due to deep bone ache and burn. Pain worse around tendons. Muscles also twitch all night long. Anyone else with similar experience?
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yes, it sounds very familiar. Trouble standing can be orthostatic intolerance: low blood pressure, low pulse pressure, and/or tachycardia. The pains should diminish if you stop trying to walk too much. Muscle twitching can also result from pushing limits too much, but magnesium can help.
  3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Good of you to notice that. Now I have improved a lot I can detect that. Before it was all over my body

Try not to overdo.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@RYO
    Can you more fully describe the hip girdle weakness you have.

I developed a weakness in my pelvic girdle following a viral infection. Specifically, this weakness feels as if the muscles and/or ligaments in my pelvic girdle have become a little slack or lacking in tautness, so that my whole pelvic area feels spongy and loose. Though there is no loss of muscular strength - the weakness is not due to reduced muscular strength, but seemingly because the muscles are lax in the pelvic area.

My hips will temporarily become a little firmer and tightened up after exercise (walking, or a short jog), but this is only a slight improvement, and it by no means fixes the situation.

I have describe this pelvic weakness on my website (which details the virus I caught) thusly:

I have also speculated that my pelvic muscle weakness may be a manifestation of a mild case of polymyositis or dermatomyositis:
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. RYO

RYO

North Carolina
    I did experience autonomic dysfunction with initial illness but that is not an issue now. I wouldn't describe my weakness as spongy or slack. They feel like I just ran a half marathon or carried 100 lb backpack up a hill. Rheumatologist already ruled out polymyositis / dermatomyositis.
    Hip likes this.
  6. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Yes, I do. I feel this is part of vagus nerve infection that, for me, focuses on the sacroiliac area spinal nerves and lower. I've had a back injury to this part and the vagus nerve infection theory indicates an infection can begin where there is a previous injury.

My pain is pretty constant even if I don't do much. It can get worse from overdoing it but even after a 3-day lay around, my hip joints still hurt if I, for instance, turn over in bed without being really careful or forget while standing and try to pivot on a hip joint.

I do shuffle and lifting my right leg to put my foot into a pants leg, sock or underwear, or to get into my vehicle -- all exacerbate the pain. If I do overdo it, I then get muscle spasms in my buttocks, legs and especially my feet, when I finally get horizontal. The worst part of this is that I can no longer spread my legs (as in sex) without a lot of pain in my hip joints. For years it was only on the right side but last year it began in the left as well and has progressed quickly.

See more popular forum discussions.