May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does anyone else have problems adjusting to the clocks going back?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Juzey, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Juzey

Juzey

I always find it very difficult to adjust my sleeping patterns when the clocks go back/forwards, which means that I end up sleeping badly and feeling even more tired than normal. I also can't concentrate on much early in the morning or late at night, which means that I now have to start concentrating on schoolwork earlier in the day than I can really manage. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it?

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Yes, even before getting sick. Then for the next few weeks I drive those around me crazy constantly saying things like, "It's not reallt six oclock but seven o'clock.

I've already started my light therapy which helps but to be really effective, you need to start in September! For me, it's quite effective. I'd recommend the blue light therapy! You don't have to look directly into the light as it works on the side cones so you can read, get on the Internet, etc.

Blue light therapy has several uses. Here's some info.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/194038-blue-light-therapy-benefits/

Barb

Little Bluestem, justy and Juzey like this.
  3. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    I start about 2 weeks before by setting my dawn riser to come on later, and also add in some bright light in the early evening. This pushes things forward for Autumn (do the other way round in Spring). Adjust mealtimes slowly, say 15 mins every few days.

Still feel disorientated for a couple of weeks or so, and suffer from lack of light in winter on top of it, but the main thing is that you you do not have to make the jump in one go.

How critical is it that you start your schoolwork early ? If you can run to your own timetable while you adjust it might help.

barbc56 and Juzey like this.
  4. Juzey

Juzey

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it.
    Thank you! Adjusting slowly definitely seems to be the way to go. Luckily it's half term this week so I can indeed do it to my own timetable.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez

Honestly, today is the best day of the year. It is a day that I look forward to for months every year.

Turning back the clock always gets me one hour closer to having something resembling a normal sleeping pattern, or if I am crashing out I can sleep in like I did today, without it having negative consequences for my nocturnal clock!

Violeta and Juzey like this.
  6. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    My pets get me up to be fed at 5 or 6 instead of 6 or 7. Very irritating.

Juzey likes this.
  7. Juzey

Juzey

That's so lucky! The clocks going back always really messes up my sleeping patterns.

How annoying!

8. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Melatonin 1 hour before bed for about 3 days pretty much eliminates jet lag/time change issues for me

Juzey likes this.
  9. Juzey

Juzey

I have been taking melatonin recently and have found it very helpful.

10. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez

Heh, not sure how lucky it is. When it swings around and I have to put the clock forward my life is literally a living hell for a week due to my many sleep issues.

Juzey likes this.
  11. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I read somewhere to move bedtime, mealtimes etc back 15 minutes every three days. This was for healthy people though. (I haven't tried it.)

Juzey likes this.
  12. Juzey

Juzey

Yeah, that's not so good...

It sounds like doing it gradually is definitely the best way to adjust.

See more popular forum discussions.