• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else feel revolting after a shower?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
how do i get a shower stool?i really need one.I'm really struggling to have a shower.

Yes, I just got mine at the drug store, a very sturdy one. I also have a folding shower chair that is really nice. I got that a few months ago at another drug store/pharmacy. I take it or my cane seat on longer walking trips. I believe in getting all of the tools it takes to remain safe and feeling the best you can.

Dainty

For those with POTS I'd recomend a shower bench rather than a shower chair/stool. With a shower chair or stool your legs are still down, like they would be on a regular chair or stool, so blood still pools in them. With a shower bench you can easily sit with your knees up, which I've found makes a big difference.

For a cheaper option, check around for a shop that sells used disability aides. If you or someone you know can check generalized secondhand stores and/or garage sales that's even better...I think my shower bench was something like 50 cents at a thrift store. As a bonus to those with MCS the used equipment tends to be more outgassed by the time you get it.

A shower filter can make a big difference. If you're sensitive to chlorine or flouride, the double-whammy of both absorbing it through your skin and inhaling that stuff into your lungs is a much, much higher exposure than drinking it.

I've found the less movement, the better. I do not even get my hair wet, so my arms are never raised, and I do not soap over my body. I just get in the shower, sit down, and let the water run over me. Afterwards I turn off the water and wait for a while to recover some before coming out. If I'm really exhausted I won't dry off, I'll just lay down right away. Sometimes I even lay down on the bathroom floor for a bit to recover there before moving to my bed.

Showers exhaust me, but I love the feel of hot water so this is how I get by! Back when my POTS was more severe after the first time I fainted in the shower I would have someone come in with me as I sat on the shower floor because fainting in the shower is really dangerous. That was when I couldn't stand for more than 30 seconds or so without collapsing...so glad I'm not quite that bad anymore.

Valentijn

thanks thats rather expensive =/ ill have to save up.
A regular plastic stool or chair that will fit in your shower may help as well. We used those in dorm showers so we could shave, but also nice for relaxing in :)

thanks for all of your advice i need a something small as my shower stall isnt that big.ive looked online but they are expensive.

TinyT

thanks for all of your advice i need a something small as my shower stall isnt that big.ive looked online but they are expensive.

A stool would be better if you have a small shower. They can be a bit expensive, that price was for me living in regional queensland though (much more $$$ than in urban areas). You can sometimes get them from cheapie stores, like aldi (Aust store).

An a (not currently practicing Occupational Therapist) I'd warn away from using plastic chairs etc as they aren't as sturdy and will slip on the floor. Proper stools etc have adjustable legs usually and also rubber stoppers on the feet

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
You could also go to the online Walmart site (www.walmart.com) and look. I buy a lot of stuff from there when I can't get out of the house because it is cheap, like the walmart stores.

I had to come back and edit my post. I looked at the Walmart site and there is a shower chair for only $23.00.

We found 158 results for "shower chair" in all departments
Related Searches: deluxe shower chair, shower chair with back, shower chair with folding, shower commode chair, reclining shower chair
All Items (158) In My Store - Laramie (0) Online Items (158)
Best Match
Sort by
Items 1- 48 of 158 total 48 96 Per PageList View Grid View Previous 1234 Next

Bath and Shower Seat by AquaSense - Adjustable Bath Chair with Non-Slip Seat, White

The AquaSense Bath and Shower Seat provides support to individuals who need to sit down while taking a bath
$23.00
Was $26.33

TinyT

You could also go to the online Walmart site (www.walmart.com) and look. I buy a lot of stuff from there when I can't get out of the house because it is cheap, like the walmart stores.

I had to come back and edit my post. I looked at the Walmart site and there is a shower chair for only $23.00.

We found 158 results for "shower chair" in all departments
Related Searches: deluxe shower chair, shower chair with back, shower chair with folding, shower commode chair, reclining shower chair
All Items (158) In My Store - Laramie (0) Online Items (158)
Best Match
Sort by
Items 1- 48 of 158 total 48 96 Per PageList View Grid View Previous 1234 Next

Bath and Shower Seat by AquaSense - Adjustable Bath Chair with Non-Slip Seat, White

The AquaSense Bath and Shower Seat provides support to individuals who need to sit down while taking a bath
$23.00
Was $26.33

Bargain!

Yeah thats what I meant by a cheapie/discount store. In Australia there is one called Aldi. They often stock really random things, but you can occasionally get medical type equipment super cheap. So have a shop around!

taniaaust1

For those with POTS I'd recomend a shower bench rather than a shower chair/stool. With a shower chair or stool your legs are still down, like they would be on a regular chair or stool, so blood still pools in them. With a shower bench you can easily sit with your knees up, which I've found makes a big difference.

I'll second what dainty is saying.. for many with POTS just a shower chair or stool is no good as many of us need to have legs up. (thats why I sit on the floor, I wouldnt do any good on chair.. i have POTS trouble just on chairs at times when I dont even have that added shower trigger).

valentinelynx

I gave up showers years ago. Taking a shower in the morning would be the last thing I'd do all day. I only take baths, which I love. A hot bath (paradoxical, I know) with Epsom salts, before bed every night helps me sleep and reduces achey pains. One of my major criteria when we go away and rent a vacation house or condo is that it must have a bathtub. Rare exceptions include cruise ships. Haven't done that in years, though. A fantasy would be to be able to afford the fanciest suites on a ship that actually has a full bath!

15 years ago, I remember I was trying to increase my fitness by swimming at the Y in Palo Alto (I was a competitive swimmer in a "former life" so swimming feels natural.) Had to shower after to get off the chlorine. I would sit on the bench outside the showers waiting forever, it would seem, for the handicap shower so I could sit while rinsing off. I had to wait, because almost inevitably, some woman would be in the handicap shower with her kids. I would fume, but I'd also wonder what choice she had... the handicap shower was the only one big enough for her and her 2 kids at the same time. It probably never occurred to her that an actually handicapped person needed the shower, especially since I wasn't in a wheelchair or missing a leg or two.

Bob

I can feel awful all day after having a hot shower or bath.
I think it's to do with the temperature causing the blood vessels to dilate (low blood pressure), because cool baths don't affect me in the same way.

Interestingly, I found that if I dip in the sea in the summer, I feel better in health for the whole day.
So I started having sea-temperature baths, with sea salts.
But it didn't really have the same effect, for some reason.

ixchelkali

I have used just a regular plastic resin lawn chair in the shower. They only cost about $7, and they have arms, which makes it easier to get up. We have a hand shower with a flexible hose. But we have a really small shower stall, so it ends up getting water sprayed around the room.

If you're fit enough to get up from a low chair, or if you have grab bars to haul yourself up, I wonder if a child's plastic chair or a small plastic stool would work? It would keep your knees bent up, which seems to help.

I don't faint in the shower, but it sure wipes me out. I plan on doing nothing much else on the same day.

Ronan

I started a thread on this subject a while back too. Showers are my biggest problem after exercise but I can avoid the exercise. I take a cool shower in the evening time once a week and feel good straight after it but a few hours later I'm all pale, fuzzy head and body temperature rises and I get this clammy sweaty thing going. I feel bad the whole of the day after so it ruins 1 day a week for me. Try explaining this to a none ME person and they just think you are insane!

I have just purchased a water free washing lotion to give it a try. Has anyone else tried something like this? I have a feeling it will cause the same issues unless it's down to chemicals in the water.

http://www.norinse.co.uk/home.php

Whit

I feel really exhausted after I go in my parent's hot tub, and even if it's no hotter than a hot bath, I'm still way more exhausted than after the bath, which often makes me feel better. So I'm pretty sure it's the chlorine that makes the difference. I recently got a shower filter since there's chlorine in that too, thought less than the hot tub outside.

I don't notice much of anything yet, but it seems like a good idea to have on there.

CJB

I have trouble with showers too - especially the hair washing bit. It's so sad reading all of your stories. I finally got a shower/hair wash today after three days of having it be a top priority for the day. And it wiped me out. I keep them as brief as possible and as early in the day as possible. I have a nasty old terry spa-type robe that's ultra absorbent and I step out of the shower into that and head straight for bed to lie down. If it's been a very brief shower, sometimes I can rest for awhile and then get up and not have too bad of a time. But often enough it wipes me out for the rest of the day.

Tulip, you're a brave soul to keep trying. I often feel like I'm getting faint, but I have a lot more time than you do to get myself down to the floor or in bed. No shower or bath injuries so far. Hope there have been some suggestions here to help you improve your odds against injury! Good luck.

hurtingallthetimet

i cant take a shower its too exhausting standing up and i get dizzy and afraid ill fall....i take bath but its more of a chore than anything...harder and harder to get in and out of tub and exhuasting to point i usually have to lay down afterwards before getting dressed and always have to lay down afterwards...doing anything is exhuasting and a chore....from just a year ago when i was very ill looking back i keep getting worse and worse...and having to do anyting extra that comes along really makes things worse..

its a shame that just to bath is so hard now

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have a shower chair, make sure you all have one, it can be so dangerous. With POTS or OI, you really need to sit. I have a hand held shower and that works great.