1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Does Anyone Else Feel Better As They Are Getting Over the Flu?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Mya Symons, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    I have this year's flu. Everytime I get the flu, for a week or two before I come down with the symptoms, I have my worst flare ups (nerve pain, muscle pain, dizziness (POTS), etc.). Thus, I can really tell when it is coming. I think the bad flare ups before hand might have something to do with herpes viruses getting a chance to resurface while the immune system is ignoring them and concentrating on the flu. If I double up on the Vacyclovir during this time, the flare up gets better. Strangely, once the flu symptoms start to disappear, I feel good. Really good and much better than usual! I have no idea why. It could possibly be that my immune system is tired and not doing things it is not supposed to do. I just don't know. Anyway, it is strange. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. Does this happen to you too when you get the flu? Do you have any ideas on why it happens?
  2. santi

santi

It happened to me also the past winter (not this one). I felt slightly better than before having the flu but my symptoms did not remit of course. I can think of various options why one feels better. One is that the immune system ignores the enterovirus and focuses on the flu. The other option is that while this enterovirus depletes defenses (HIV-Like virus in China), the flu forces to dramatically increase the defenses which collaterally also fight the virus.

Since my onset my white blood cells are marginally lower than minimum and even worse (2500). On past year's flu just got a blood test in the precise moment and revealed white blood cells high (9500). So this reveals that having flu is good for some cfs people. So don't vaccinate!
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I've had some sort of virus and feel like hell. Its been over 3 weeks now and I have nothing in the pot energy wise - nothing at all. I dearly hope I regain my previous level of functioning, 3 weeks before xmas I had an amalgam out, I felt well enough to cope at the time, Christmas Eve I went to a carol service - felt like I was part of the world, now it feels like I'm back in prison for misconduct................
  4. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Attempts by your body to fever can produce higher levels of Cortisol and Thyroid hormones. If you are deficient in either this may explain why you feel better shortly after the infection subsides.
  5. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming

Thanks Leopardtail. I do have Hashimoto's and my thyroid levels are always fluctuating. So what you say makes sense.
  6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Better yes. Healthy no.

But I thought everyone feels better when it's the last 1/3 or 1/4 or it's gone. Everyone I know has it. (Non ME people)

See more popular forum discussions.