• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone actually get the recommended 4700mg of potassium a day?

4700mg of potassium is the recommended daily intake of potassium, but when you break down the sources of potassium it seems highly impractical that most people are getting close to that amount.

Potassium content:
100g - 85/15 Beef (raw) = 295mg
100g - Chicken Breast (raw) - 275mg
100g - Baked potato w/ skin = 570mg
100g - Cantaloupe = 270mg

Obviously you could augment a diet with potassium gluconate powder to compensate, but it got me wondering... what functionality is being impaired if most people don't even hit 50% of the recommended amount?

Wonkmonk

But given that 500g of baked potato is just ~400-500 calories, that would be a big part already.

And apples, bananas, tomatoes, navy beans, lentils etc. are all good sources, too. Add some to your diet every day and it should be ok. Leafy greens are zero calories and are good sources, too.

I think most of the days I'm getting close to or even more than the 4700mg.

Fruit and veg seem to be the main suppliers of potassium.

Also I think it's the sodium / potassium balance that's important to maintain, rather than absolute amounts of potassium, so if you're not eating much salty processed food or adding much salt to your food, you may be getting less sodium and hence need less potassium. I imagine the amount you quote is based on what is needed to balance the average or recommended sodium intake.

Wonkmonk

Coconut water is an excellent source and easy to consume several ounces a day. I buy a 1-liter bottle and drink over 1 week. That adds to the balance.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
what functionality is being impaired if most people don't even hit 50% of the recommended amount?
One thing I am aware of from personal experience is heart function and rhythm.
Also I think it's the sodium / potassium balance that's important to maintain
Exactly, it is good to keep this in mind.
Coconut water is an excellent source and easy to consume several ounces a day. I buy a 1-liter bottle and drink over 1 week.
Or, what I use (as well as coconut water) is low sodium V8. One 8 oz can has 840 mg of potassium. I try to keep my potassium level on the higher end of normal because of heart rhythm problems.

I supplement with potassium chloride (600mg) and top up with a packet of potato crisps (chips if you're not from the uk)

I think the Rda for a lot of "electrolytes" should be taken With a pinch of ( sorry I can't bring myself to finish that)

I get heart palpitations that go away when I supplement with potassium and since the OI issues, im training myself to eat more salt so I guess I may need to add more potassium at some point..... I used to work for Campbell's a long time ago so can't bring myself to drink V8, so I guess it's back to the tablets.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I get heart palpitations that go away when I supplement with potassium and since the OI issues, im training myself to eat more salt so I guess I may need to add more potassium at some point..... I used to work for Campbell's a long time ago so can't bring myself to drink V8, so I guess it's back to the tablets.
Yes, supplemental potassium (I prefer it from vegetable juice or coconut water) stops heart palpitations for me too. I'm told that potassium works on heart rhythm through the same mechanism as the most common type of antiarrhythic meds. Hint, if V8 puts you off, I actually prefer low sodium Very Veggie (Knudsen) from health food stores.

ahmo

I needed A Lot of K+ while working my way through methylation protocol. Once I reached the "end'...no longer adding B12, folate...I eventually no longer needed extra K+. I don't know my current sources, eating a lot of carrots, and during the summer, watermelon. But my body no longer needs additional.