• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does allicillin (garlic) kill good bacteria?

ebethc

Allicillin is the part of garlic that kills bad bacteria/fungus in the gut... does anyone know if it kills good bacteria, too?

msf

I´d imagine so, since good and bad bacteria often belong to the same genera. But since most of the world eats it regularly it can´t have too bad an effect. I don´t know if the allicillin is the FODMAP part though.

ebethc

I´d imagine so, since good and bad bacteria often belong to the same genera. But since most of the world eats it regularly it can´t have too bad an effect. I don´t know if the allicillin is the FODMAP part though.

Allicillin is definitely okay, FODMAP- wise

I'm switching up my SIBO protocol (currently FC Cidal + Dysbiocide) to avoid killing good bacteria along w bad... I'll probably go to Allimed (high potency allicillin) + berberine

msf

Good to know, I might try it at some point, although it would be nice to know exactly which genera of bacteria it effects.

ebethc

@msf
@Basilico

I stumbled on some info from Ken lassesen that answered my question, and may be of interest to both of you:

Rifaxamin & allicillin both kill E. coli- which is low in CFS patients to begin with...if you use these, follow w mutaflor

I don't know what other bugs these 2 kill

Scroll down to comments section:

http://gutfeelingsresearch.blogspot.com/2016/06/change-agents-ken-lassesen-on.html?m=1

Ps if you don't know who Ken is, he's a CFS patient who has a ton of microbiome research shared on his blog; he's had success putting his own CFS into remission

EDIT: ken's blog is cfsremission.com

Last edited:

Basilico

Florida
@ebethc , thank you - I'm pretty sure that blog is where we first learned about Mutaflor a few years ago. It didn't put my husband in remission, but it did make some noticeable improvements in his health overall, so it was definitely worth it.