• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Acetaminophen Activate Endogenous Pain Inhibition in ME/CFS Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthrit

Ecoclimber

Does Acetaminophen Activate Endogenous Pain Inhibition in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis? A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Cross-over Trial.

Meeus M, Ickmans K, Struyf F, Hermans L, Van Noesel K, Oderkerk J, Declerck LS, Moorkens G, Hans G, Grosemans S, Nijs J.
Source
Pain in Motion research group, Departments of Human Physiology and Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Although enhanced temporal summation (TS) and conditioned pain modulation (CPM), as characteristic for central sensitization, has been proved to be impaired in different chronic pain populations, the exact nature is still unknown.
OBJECTIVES:

We examined differences in TS and CPM in 2 chronic pain populations, patients with both chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and comorbid fibromyalgia (FM) and patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and in sedentary, healthy controls, and evaluated whether activation of serotonergic descending pathways by acetaminophen improves central pain processing.
STUDY DESIGN:

Double-blind randomized controlled trial with cross-over design.
METHODS:

Fifty-three women (19 CFS/FM patients, 16 RA patients, and 18 healthy women) were randomly allocated to the experimental group (1 g acetaminophen) or the placebo group (1 g dextrose). Participants underwent an assessment of endogenous pain inhibition, consisting of an evaluation of temporal summation with and without conditioned pain modulation (CPM). Seven days later groups were crossed-over. Patients and assessors were blinded for the allocation.
RESULTS:

After intake of acetaminophen, pain thresholds increased slightly in CFS/FM patients, and decreased in the RA and the control group. Temporal summation was reduced in the 3 groups and CPM at the shoulder was better overall, however only statistically significant for the RA group. Healthy controls showed improved CPM for both finger and shoulder after acetaminophen, although not significant.
LIMITATIONS:

The influence of acetaminophen on pain processing is inconsistent, especially in the patient groups examined.
CONCLUSION:

This is the first study comparing the influence of acetaminophen on central pain processing in healthy controls and patients with CFS/FM and RA. It seems that CFS/FM patients present more central pain processing abnormalities than RA patients, and that acetaminophen may have a limited positive effect on central pain inhibition, but other contributors have to be identified and evaluated.

Eco

Attachments

• Exercise-Activated Pain Inhibition in Chronic Pain Patients.pdf
    222.7 KB · Views: 4

lansbergen

Paracetemol did nothing for my ME pain but at the same time it eased injury pain.

Now I am much better it works for ME pain. When the pain increases during flareups one pill does the tric.