• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does a fractured bone make the cfs symptoms worse?

I broke my wrist eight weeks ago. The cast came off two weeks ago, and the healing is progressing well. It's still swollen and painful and stiff, but that's to be expected for a few weeks yet.

My only issue is that my cfs symptoms have gone through the roof and remained there since the fracture happened. And some sort of instinct is telling me the two thing are related.

Obviously the fracture site is a source of inflammation, and the fact it's still swollen and painful means the inflammation is still active, so i'm wondering if this local inflammation caused by a broken bone could trigger a flare up of cfs?

Has anyonse else suffered a similar flare up when nursing a fracture?

I broke my wrist eight weeks ago. The cast came off two weeks ago, and the healing is progressing well. It's still swollen and painful and stiff, but that's to be expected for a few weeks yet.

My only issue is that my cfs symptoms have gone through the roof and remained there since the fracture happened. And some sort of instinct is telling me the two thing are related.

Obviously the fracture site is a source of inflammation, and the fact it's still swollen and painful means the inflammation is still active, so i'm wondering if this local inflammation caused by a broken bone could trigger a flare up of cfs?

Has anyonse else suffered a similar flare up when nursing a fracture?

Hi Carrie-Louise. My leg was broken just below the knee a few years ago. I didn't experience a flare, however, because I wasn't able to bear any weight on the leg for 10 weeks (to prevent further breakage and then surgical repair) my activity level was less. I think that because I reduced my energy load (I could not work my usual 4 days a week), I did fairly well. I pretty much just sat about, with my leg elevated.

I would assume that the healing process would require more of you, and thus your flare. I hope your inflamation decreases soon. I do recall lots of inflamation (I had a hemarthrosis-blood vessel break inside the knee joint that seemed more painful than the break itself) and the resulting pain.

Good luck...

PNR2008

I broke my ankle and tore the ligament in 2009, and I had amazing flair up. Because I live alone and could not bare weight, I had to use crutches, walker and finally a wheelchair. The first two hurt more muscles than I thought I had shoulders, neck, and especially my hands hurt and were bruised. After
the first week I'm sure the pain meds did more for muscles and joints throughout the body rather than the ankle.

ukxmrv

A similar thing happened to me with a fracture. My doctor said that it was due to inflammation. I had a bad reaction to voltarol and some of the painkillers given. I've never recovered from the accident that led to the fracture and my ME symptoms went into a new low that has lasted years now. My body never recovered and even 1 and 2 years later when the weather was cold all the original brusing come back and was visible on my skin.

It was a major accident though with damage from head to toe. I really don't understand the whole inflammation thing. Was low for CRP but never tested using the more sensitive tests. My doctor says that quite a few different immune system areas could be high but in the UK they don't offer tests for these. My TNFa after the accident was very high (private test).

Hope your wrist heals and the CFS calms down.