• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does a deep massage of the neck help?

Invisible Woman

For me, no.

I used to do a fair bit of physical activity and had a good massage every month or so before becoming ill. Loved it.

Since becoming ill, I can't even have the lightest of neck/shoulder/back massages. Literally knocks me off my feet and causes quite a crash.

I can cope with a lymph drainage massage in the lower limbs though.

Others seem to have no problem with then though.

If I were to try it again then I would have a very short, very light massage and if I was ok with that I would slowly build it up. Watch out for use of essential oils too - I find I need them to be a lot more diluted these days.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I'm with *GG*. When I could afford them, I loved them. I do not know that they helped my ME. I think lymphatic drainage might have, but I only had it once.

Last edited:

Hilary

I also love massage but have to be very careful as massage of the upper back especially can make me feel extremely unwell - that horrible dragging, achey toxic feeling. As long as it's very light and I'm not already in a dip, I can get away with it and find it very relaxing.

I did have Perrin treatment for a long time which made me worse initially but then seemed to help quite a bit.

Dechi

I do fine with more gentle massages. Last time I went for a massage, I had been having a migraine for 2 weeks and after the treatment it was gone. The lady had massaged my head and it did me tremendous good.