1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Doctors Mc.Clure & Kaye respond to Annette Whittemore in "Expert-Reviews.com"

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by thegodofpleasure, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

In a book I saw a bet drawn up by Hawking and his friend, over the existence of some debatable phenomenon in physics, "naked singularities":

"[...] The loser will reward the winner with clothing to cover the winner's nakedness. The clothing is to be embroidered with a suitable, truly concessionary message. [...]"

2. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Megan, I've just noticed that it seems that your understanding about the nature of 'nested PCR' is actually confirmed, in your own post, by McClure herself:

On re-reading this quote carefully, McClure is clearly saying that 'nested PCR' is not 'single-round PCR'...
    She seems to be saying, with apparent certainty, that the WPI used "single-round PCR" (not 'nested PCR'), whereas the other studies used the alternative method of "nested PCR" (not 'single-round PCR') which is "designed to enhance sensitivity and specificity".

This, as you say, is contradicted in the statement you included from the WPI:

McClure is clearly saying that the WPI study used 'single-round PCR', and not 'nested PCR', whereas the WPI are clearly saying the opposite. So I can't see how the McClure statement can possibly be correct when the WPI have so clearly stated that they used 'nested PCR'.

(This is obviously exactly what you were pointing out Megan... but I've only just worked it out for myself! Sorry if I'm being a bit slow to catch up here!)

See more popular forum discussions.